[governance] A lot of people here will likely disagree - but wait there's more: Facebook/Eutelsat/Internet.org in Subsaharan Africa

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Tue Oct 6 13:08:18 EDT 2015

http://news.eutelsat.com/pressreleases/eutelsat-and-facebook-to-partner-on-satellite-initiative-to-get-more-africans-online-1228638

My comments:

Satellite-delivered packets are most definitely unequal and relatively pricey due to engineering realities and launch costs. Bandwidth/cost optimization requires actively engineering for periodically refreshed (terrestrial) content caches/delivery networks.

Still satellites are cheaper for Internet access than other packet delivery options in areas severely lacking terrestrial infrastructure, whether wired or (terrestrial) wireless.

But I guess since Facebook is paying for it and is among the naturally favored offerings, some of us would suggest this a is a very bad thing for sub-Saharan Africa?

And of course it is just fine for Eutelsat to sell business-class Internet access off the same satellite, with no intent of making it available to evveryone.

Lee