[governance] A lot of people here will likely disagree

Mueller, Milton L milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 6 11:34:29 EDT 2015

At the TPRC conference there was an interesting paper on Zero-rating. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2587542
Unfortunately it’s not downloadable yet. I attended this session however and while the methodology of this paper was not strong, it did raise some interesting questions about the attack on zero-rating. One of the most eye-opening findings was that the services or apps that were zero rated did not actually seem to benefit that much in terms of market share or demand. I know that minor incidences of zero-rating will not affect the fear of many that it could be abused by big players, but if it has truly strong and visible anti-competitive effects, then one should attack such practices on an adhoc basis using competition policy, not oppose all zero-rating in all situations by all market participants. It seems that zero-rating could be used by market entrants to gain a foothold in the market and increase competition in certain instances.

Regarding Facebook and Internet.org, let me see if I understand the argument: No access at all is preferable to limited access, and we shouldn’t allow anyone to make that choice for themselves. Is that it? ;-)