[governance] [bestbits] The decentralization of IP addresses

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Sat Nov 28 01:18:16 EST 2015

> On 27 Nov 2015, at 4:49 AM, willi uebelherr <willi.uebelherr at riseup.net> wrote:
>

> The decentralization of IP addresses.
>
> We need a completely self-organizing Internet. And this is possible only through massive decentralization. We can look at the difficulties at the beginning of the Internet with tolerance. They were mostly of a technical nature. But today we have other conditions. And from these other conditions arise other possibilities.
>
> It is about the IP address. It is necessary to ensure that the packets find their direct route to their targets. The router work with numbers. We humans with text. The content is the same. Only the representation is different.

	it is important to understand that names and numbers do not have a 1 to 1 correspondence. Rather, names are an abstraction layer that serves a number of purposes, and its generally a many to many relationship, but that doesn’t work quite the same way for all services.

> The Internet, a transport system for digital data in packet form, needs this destination address to forward the packets to their destinations can. The packets include this destination. With that, the packets are the instance to enable and orient the router.
>
> All transport systems operate on the basis of geographical processes. We transport from position A to position B. Consider. The transport of digital data They are comparable with boxes. In the case the data are. They do not care. Outside sticking a piece of paper with the source address, destination address and some information about the transport. These boxes are being made from the transport routes such as the cars and buses on the roads.

	As Suresh said, please con’t confuse the Internet with the postal service. While the Internet has to eventually deliver to some physical destination somewhere, that this physical destination is mostly abstracted away from the way we use Internets naming and routing protocols is by design, and has many good reasons why it is so.

[snip large section of argument that the Internet should work like the postal service]

> The local part of the IP address is always self-determined in the local network.

	Are you referring to NAT? because not everyone uses NAT, and there are good reasons why it might be preferable not to use it for many people.

> We do not need to know the schema of resolution outside of the local network. In the DNS request we also get this part.
>
> The decisive factor for this solution that we need in the future no Internet Governance.

	Systems that are geographically based, like the postal and phone systems, involve a great deal of governance. Just ask the ITU. The main difference is that it is largely done by states. Why would your proposal be different?

> No organizations that compete for the award of rights of IP addresses. No organizations whose livelihood is based on the sale of global IP addresses.

	Why would states not compete for the award of rights of IP addresses if they were organised globally? Why do you wish to get rid of the RIRs? How do you think this relates to names, do you think that global generic (as opposed to country) names are a bad idea or is your proposal only for numbers?

	You’ve suggested these ideas a few times before. They raise a lot of questions, and I think in general many of us would disagree with quite a few of your assumptions. It is always worth questioning even fairly basic assumptions, but I think your ideas are both misguided in their intent, and are based on some fairly basic misunderstandings of how the internet works.

	Regards

		David