[governance] The decentralization of IP addresses

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr at riseup.net
Thu Nov 26 15:49:28 EST 2015

The decentralization of IP addresses.

We need a completely self-organizing Internet. And this is possible only
through massive decentralization. We can look at the difficulties at the
beginning of the Internet with tolerance. They were mostly of a
technical nature. But today we have other conditions. And from these
other conditions arise other possibilities.

It is about the IP address. It is necessary to ensure that the packets
find their direct route to their targets. The router work with numbers.
We humans with text. The content is the same. Only the representation is
different.

The Internet, a transport system for digital data in packet form, needs
this destination address to forward the packets to their destinations
can. The packets include this destination. With that, the packets are
the instance to enable and orient the router.

All transport systems operate on the basis of geographical processes. We
transport from position A to position B. Consider. The transport of
digital data They are comparable with boxes. In the case the data are.
They do not care. Outside sticking a piece of paper with the source
address, destination address and some information about the transport.
These boxes are being made from the transport routes such as the cars
and buses on the roads.

Consider the transport of digital data. The IP packets are comparable to
cases in which the data are packed. But the data do not interest us.
Outside sticking a piece of paper with the source address, destination
address and some information about the transport. These boxes flows over
the transport routes such as the cars and buses on the roads.

At the branches we have to decide how to proceed. There are the routers.
They look at the paper and read the destination address. This is
converted to the geographical position and compared to the geographical
position of the router. The result is a directional angle and the
distance. And with that each router can immediately decide in which
direction it goes on.

We have thus fulfilled the first requirement. The global part of the IP
address is always derived from the geographical position of the local
network. How we do this is an object of our global discussion and
cooperation based on the RFCs (Request for Comment). A very simple way.

The local part of the IP address is always self-determined in the local
network. We do not need to know the schema of resolution outside of the
local network. In the DNS request we also get this part.

The decisive factor for this solution that we need in the future no
Internet Governance. No organizations that compete for the award of
rights of IP addresses. No organizations whose livelihood is based on
the sale of global IP addresses.

With many greetings, willi
Coro, Venezuela