[governance] Joana's speech

jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 17 13:18:32 EST 2015

Sorry for this second posting due to a missed sentence

Thanks and congratulations to Joana for her speech and her (soft but expressive) protest regarding UN police intervention.

Joana asked the question : How was WSIS in the early times?

I would remind the WSIS Geneva Summit in December 2003 when Swiss police brutally repressed the protesting NGOs in the city. These NGOs were forbidden to access the UN/Palexpo "official area" because the ITU, the organizing UN Agency of this Summit, considered some of them as illegal and therefore didn't accredit them. A very quetionable attitude. Among these NGO was Reporters without Borders, as you may know a highly criminal organsisation !!!

The CS in a special Plenary session firmly protested through a written communiqué against such an inadmissible situation. However, CS was far from beng unanimous about the wording of the communiqué .... It was finallly adopted by a relative majority. There was a strong minority (I's among them) for proposing to meet and discuss with "extenal protesters" but this proposal was finally rejected. These were turbulent times in the CS WSIS activities ...

It is worth recalling that even the PrepCom president, Adama Samasékou, was opposed to accept "loud protesting NGOs" in the WSIS process, arguing that WSIS isn't a place for them. Instead, only moderate/wise (restrained?) NGOs have their place there. Of course this also was the opinion/position of the WSIS Secretariate.

Best regards

Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 17/11/15 17:29
> De : joana at varonferraz.com
> A : "Carlos A. Afonso" , governance at lists.igcaucus.org
> Copie à : "" , "Renata Aquino Ribeiro"
> Objet : Re: [governance] Joana's speech

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for the support. It was a pleasure to bring some points of concern for us to think in the way to come. I'm just correcting typos but will publish the speech asap.

Regarding the protest issue, an update, so it does not escalate and compromise the activities to come:

As mentioned by c.a., him and other representatives from civil society at CGI.br presented the aspects of overreaction of UN officials + the fact that people were not aware of UN rules and, as a result of some negotiations, credentials will be given back after a "good will" session. So this particular issue will gladly be solved.

Though I'm happy that CGI and Br gov took the initiative to organize IGF here, I felt the (uncomfortable) urge to mentioned the episode in my speech as I was receiving worrying msgs from br cs colleagues while things were unfolding and I was waiting to talk. But, with this current agreement, I would say lets not compromise the event and enjoy the discussions and efforts put up by the organizers and take the best we can from IGF and our time in João Pessoa.

Even the question whether IGF shall be a place to allow demonstrations could be channeled to panel discussions an issue on the table for those focused on the WSIS+10 review and renew of IGF mandate. It is not the first time, neither will be the last, that local civil of the host country have something to question through demonstrations. Though I have no clue if changing this UN prerogative is possible for such a particular context/event as the IGF (or how it would make it more complicated for some countries to put themselves as hosts and if it is good or bad). How was WSIS in the early times?

Thanks c.a. and CGI.br for all the efforts to quickly solve this sad misunderstanding.

Best

Joana

Renata, totally agree, and I tried to convince the chief rep of the UN

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org