[governance] Joana's speech

Gangesh S. Varma gangesh.varma at nludelhi.ac.in
Wed Nov 11 09:53:13 EST 2015

For those who couldn't make it, below is a copy of Joana's speech from the
transcripts available.

>> JOANA VARON FERRAZ: Hello, all protocols have been addressed.  I would
like to extend my general greetings for all the participants.  And correct
my affiliation.  I'm actually researcher and human rights advocate, and
founder director of coding rights which is a female organisation focused in
advancing the enforcement of human rights in the digital world by
integrating usages and understandings of technology into policymaking
process.

I have to say a few weeks ago, we were surprised by a E mail saying that
I've been nominated by my colleagues for this Opening Session.  When I got
the news, the first thing that crossed my mind were memories from when I
attended my first IGF back in 2007.  Here in Brazil, in Rio de Janeiro.

It was just nine years ago, but as much as I changed, I got some trust from
Civil Society colleagues that nominated me to be here today, the Internet
has also changed a lot.  And we have great innovations, more people
connected, indeed, different kind of smart devices, but I'm concerned.  The
Internet was built with the core value of connectivity to be open,
interoperable.

But our Internet is becoming more and more centralized.  Sometimes, by the
action of governments, but mostly by market powers.  That aspect poses
problems to those core values that were originally embedded in the
architecture of the Internet poses problems, protection and promotion of
human rights, and also represents challenges to the Internet Governance
processes.

Particularly concerning, how we address our endless search for the beloved
utopia of a Democratic multistakeholder participation.

Mostly considering this from the mental power imbalances within the various
stakeholder groups, some concerns, human rights and from the mental
technical values for the Internet architecture, like end to end
interoperability, confidentiality and many others are being solved, in this
progressively more centralized Internet, coined by profit and control.

I give some examples of such centralization trends.  In terms of
connectivity, for instance, at least in developing countries or emerging
economies, connectivities are still centralized in the hands of very few
telecommunication companies.  We need to discuss alternatives to this such
as public regime for Internet services, discuss free spectrum, usage of
cognitive radios.  We have technologies for that.  And I was glad that
there was a particular plenary addressing this issue in this edition of IGF
already.

Furthermore, we need to understand that Zero Rating practices are not the
solution to the digital divide.  There are people, particularly from
developing countries, that practically only access one service and think
it's Internet.

Imagine if this perception would escalate.  So, please let's not sell
donkeys pretending they are horses, Internet org is not Internet, free
basics is not free, we are paying for it.

It is more like

  (applause).

It's more like you are basically getting free of your rights, the right to
access global and free Internet.

So, we not only need open connectivity.  We also really need implementable
net neutrality, and in particular the representatives, Brazilian Government
representatives that are here, I'd like to ask for them to please consider
that there is a urgency to have a regulation of Marco Civil that decree
that hopefully would set the tone about that.

Marco Civil was an example in terms of process and content worldwide, but
without regulation, it is in danger, mostly by market practices.

Another example of decentralization is related to freedom of expression and
privacy.  A Special Rapporteur David Kaye said today and I find appealing,
why are we reading a newspaper, the newspapers today, the newspapers is
also reading us.  All this data, data, our digital shadow, our powerful
tool, that can be used against us, either by framing us, framing our will,
or to be used for pressure or clashing groups of descent.

So while we have never been more connected, we have also never been so
exposed as in the digital world, and pervasive surveillance, weak
enforcement for data protection or discourse of Cybersecurity and terrorism
does not make the perspectives very good.  We need strong and enforceable
data protection views and here I call attention again to the situation in
Brazil, we need to deliver our data protection bill.  There was a result of
a public consultation to the legislative, they have to approve as soon as
possible so we have coherence with national and international agenda in the
protection of digital rights or privacy rights.

We also need to understand and ensure that encryption and anonymity can and
should be preserved.  We need to solve jurisdictional conflicts to ensure
that protection of freedom of expression and privacy are not dependent on
companies.  We need to move forward with transparent and accountable IANA
transition towards a global system.

And beyond, policy approaches to human rights, we need to inform these
principles for the development of technology.  Technology is not neutral.
We need to consider that what does it mean to have human rights
considerations for standards and protocols.

We need to foster free software as it has been said in sessions here, if we
cannot see, we cannot trust it.

We need to work more closely to technical community to understand or at
least expose the implications about what they do, and human rights.

Finally, we need more women and more diversity within those who develop
technologies.

  (applause).

And create policies for technologies.  This imbalance is already very
expressive in this Opening Session, in which you can count four women.

So to wrap my points, all this list of issues that can be developed further
and further, represent the challenges that are increasing, to protect and
promote human rights and the core values of the architecture of the
Internet in face of decentralization.

My final consideration for us to have in mind is, what is the Internet
Governance system that can address all this?  What is the role of IGF
facing these issues?

IGF is indeed a unique space for multistakeholder dialogue.  But we need to
fulfill them in data of IGF as provided in the Tunis Agenda.  We are
currently in the process of reviewing the WSIS+10, where this issue can be
addressed.

But the renewal of IGF cannot be used as a maintenance of the status quo,
in which the Internet Governance ecosystem remains the same.  No one can
solve the issues that I have raised so far.  The Internet that we were
discussing during WSIS process in 2003 and 5, and later on here in Brazil
in IGF 2017 is not the same.

The challenges to maintaining a free, open and decentralized network have
never been bigger, and the solution is related to access, whether the
institutional arrangements that we built are able to protect and promote
human rights, and enable us to maintain technical values that inspire the
creation of the Internet.

I hope in these days to come, we can discuss this and other issues further,
with all the reasons they require but not only discuss really, let us also
protest freely.  This is also political space.  I've been looking and saw
some Civil Society representatives are being harassed and taken out of the
venue by due to attempt of silent protest around free basics.  It is a bit
unacceptable in a context in which we are discussing free speech.

So please, let's let people who cannot be on the stage also symbolically
express their key questions regarding the future of Internet in front of
high level panels like this.

I hope this issue can be solved quickly.

Finally, let us also use this space to think what institutional
arrangements are needed to move forward beyond the status quo, in order to
reverse the strength of centralization of the Internet.  Let us try to put
at least many of the beautiful words that were said here and look good in
paper, in practice, towards a real people centered, open, free, global and
inclusive Internet.

Thank you so much.

  (applause).

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> Congratulations Joana.. you managed to move people and bring out
> solidarity and unity in civil society which is wonderful to see.
>
> Perhaps the text has been shared already.. but if not.. I look forward
> to it.
>
> Anriette
>

> On 11/11/2015 14:52, Arsene TUNGALI (Yahoo) wrote:
> > Joana, your speech was great and well articulated. The only one (i
> > guess) that was applauded more than once by the public, though I
> > applauded Fadi Chehade's as well.
> >
> > There is a lot to say about the 'famous' protest but I definitely didn't
> > see any violence from the security folks nor any noisy action from the
> > protestors. Everyone did their job and I am glad the message went out
> > since more than 7 tweets (including mine) were sent as a way to pass on
> > the message presented by the protestors, videos and pictures were taken
> > as well.
> >
> > Someone in this world said something like this : "I can guarantee you
> > freedom of expression but not freedom after expression". I hope nothing
> > bad will happen to our dear protestators after the IGF is over.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > *------------------------------------------------------*
> > _*/Arsène Tungali,/*_
> > Co-founder and Executive Director, Rudi International
> > <http://www.rudiinternational.org/>
> > Founder, Mabingwa Forum <http://www.mabingwa-forum.com/>
> >
> > Work email:arsenebaguma at gmail.com
> > Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/arsenebaguma> - Twitter
> > <http://twitter.com/arsenebaguma> -LinkedIn
> > <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/arsene-tungali/40/825/344/>
> > Internet Governance - Blogger - ISOC Member - ICANN Fellow - IGF Fellow.
> > Democratic Republic of Congo
> >

> > Le Mercredi 11 novembre 2015 9h01, CAFEC <cafec3m at yahoo.fr> a écrit :
> >

> > The values are manifested in acts we daily.
> > Joana Congratulations on a speech that was expressive and objective. Is
> > it possible to have a copy of the speech ??
> >  *Baudouin*
> >
> > **
> > **
> > *COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC
> >  *ICANN/AFRALO Member
> > ISOC Member
> > courriel:cafec3m at yahoo.fr
> > téléphone: +243 998983491/+243813684512
> >

> > Le Mardi 10 novembre 2015 21h14, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> a
> > écrit :
> >

> > Congrats Joana, it was the most substantial and evocative speech I have
> > heard at the IGF in a long time (if ever)!
> >
> > It was both precisely to the point, and carried the right emotion and
> > evocation. And so brave of you to have raised the issue of removal of
> > the CS protesters... Bravo!!
> >
> > parminder

> >     http://www.igcaucus.org/

> >     http://www.igcaucus.org/

> >      http://www.igcaucus.org/

> Anriette Esterhuysen
> Executive Director
> Association for Progressive Communications

Gangesh Sreekumar Varma | Senior Fellow
Centre for Communication Governance | National Law University, Delhi
(+91) 11-280-34256 | www.ccgdelhi.org . www.ccgtlr.org
<http://www.ccgdelhi.org/> . www.nludelhi.ac.in | Twitter: @ccgdelhi
<https://twitter.com/CCGDelhi> . @gangeshvarma
<https://twitter.com/gangeshvarma>