[governance] Joana's speech

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:32:15 EST 2015

Hi all

Protesting with signs may be against UN rules but why go to the
extreme of banning the protesters?
As you can see on 1:45 on the video referenced. the signs of the
silent protest were taken away, the protesters sat down and still were
asked to leave and had their badges taken away. There are also
accounts that their cell phones were asked by the security.
As in the 1st person account published by Gustavo Gindre, there is
still a concern that they may be prevented in entering in future UN
events as well.

All seems even more bizarre as a Facebook sponsored cocktail goes on
tonight as the "after-party" of this event in a mile or so away from
the convention centre.

It just seems quite unfortunate that there's a climate of fear rather
than freedom of expression.

[]s