[governance] Invitation to Public Access in Libraries Dynamic Coalition Nov 12 at 11:00

Christina de Castell Christina.de.Castell at ifla.org
Sat Nov 7 09:49:59 EST 2015

Apologies for cross-posting

Libraries Connect the Next Billion

Thursday, November 12, 11:00-12:30, Workshop Room 6

How do we ensure that we connect the next billion, in absence of technology and connectivity that can reach every individual, globally? The Dynamic Coalition on Public Access in Libraries believes that this will only be possible when we recognize the value of the institutions that we already have in our communities for connecting people and information: 320,000 public libraries.

The Dynamic Coalition is presenting a statement of principles for feedback during the 2015 IGF main sessions that proposes the critical role of libraries for connecting communities and individuals. In preparation for taking action on these principles, panelists at the DC-PAL workshop will discuss how organizations are connecting communities, and provide examples of actions that each stakeholder group can take so that libraries can realize their potential to connect the next billion.

Following this discussion, participants will participate in planning the work of the DC-PAL in 2016. The coordinators propose that the objective of 2016 will be to agree upon three concrete actions that members of each stakeholder group can take to further the principles of promoting connectivity, access and media and information literacy through libraries.

Speakers:

·         Manu K. Bhardwaj, U.S. Department of State – Global Connect Initiative

·         Stuart Hamilton, International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) – UN 2030 Development Agenda

·         Ramunė Petuchovaitė, Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL) – Capacity building in Ghana, Kenya and Uganda.

·         Additional speakers TBA

·         Moderator: Christina de Castell, International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)

Schedule

·         11:00-11:50 Discussion of existing initiatives that promote public access in libraries by participating stakeholder groups

·         11:50-12:20 Proposal and discussion of recommended stakeholder actions to promote the DC-PAL principles as 2016 DC-PAL activity

·         12:20-12:30 Conclusion and action plan

Link to session: http://sched.co/4c0t

Link to Principles on Public Access in Libraries: http://review.intgovforum.org/igf-2015/dynamic-coalitions/dynamic-coalition-
on-public-access-in-libraries-dc-pal/