[governance] Exposed by Wikileaks: The US Empire According to Itself

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Fri Nov 6 09:32:19 EST 2015

Exposed by Wikileaks: The US Empire According to Itself
Robert J. Burrowes*
*http://robertjburrowes.wordpress.com*
<http://robertjburrowes.wordpress.com>

[excerpts]

In the book The Wikileaks Files: The World According to US Empire
http://www.versobooks.com/books/1931-the-wikileaks-files which has just
been published, we are taken on a journey to understand just how the world
works if we read the 'top secret' correspondence of those who regard
themselves as our masters. Following a thoughtful contextual introduction
by Julian Assange, our journey is guided by eighteen first-rate scholars
who carefully explain the significance of a range of Wikileaks-released
documents in relation to the region of the world in which they specialize.

Overall, the authors provide an extremely coherent account of the way in
which the US empire functions. In essence, the unexamined and, hence,
unquestioned assumption of the US imperial elite is that they are entitled
to control the people and resources of the world for their own benefit and
profit. One Wikileaks-released cable after another exposes this mindset at
work whatever the national or regional context under consideration.

Moreover, any and all weapons are acceptable (irrespective of their
lethality and legality) and the only issue is their functionality for
achieving imperial goals. And while there has been a recent shift, in some
parts of the world, away from the more traditional form of territorial
control based on military intervention, non-territorial imperialism can be
equally destructive.

[...]
- - -