[governance] Civil society transparency

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon May 25 02:57:42 EDT 2015

Hi Parminder,

Two issues in response to your suggestion.

Firstly, the suggestion that CSCG do this. CSCG consists of five people who are pretty busy co-ordinating coalitions of CS organisations (BB, JNC, IGC, APC, NCSG) and myself as an independent chair. The role of CSCG is to ensure a co-ordinated civil society response and conduit when it comes to making civil society appointments to outside organisations.  It has no staff, no funding, not even a formal charter.  In order to address some of the issues it faces I have suggested from time to time  that the membership be expanded to include say 3 more respected civil society people who are not formal representatives of coalitions of CS organisations. The last time I suggested this it was met with some strongly worded negative responses from JNC and I have not heard of any change of position on this. So for these reasons I don’t think CSCG is the right organisation to take on this task. Perhaps IGC?

Secondly, I wonder how it would work in CS which has so many people who are basically acting as individuals rather than representatives of organisations. Many if not most of us also have non CS affiliations (eg membership of ISOC, business or governmental employees if we are cs volunteers, academic postings etc) so the “pure” CS rep is probably a bit hard to find. I am not sure what we would gain by having a register of all our multiple affiliations which would need regular updating to be of any use.  I think we need to ensure our major coalitions (BB, JNC, IGC, APC, NCSG) act transparently, and by and large I think they do. But I am not sure of the value of extending this to what is probably tens of thousands of members or organisations affiliated with these larger groups.

Over to others to discuss. I am not opposed to the suggestion that something be done in this area,  but I think we need to refine any such idea somewhat, and if the aim is somehow to enhance CS credibility and transparency in this space, perhaps we should also discuss what other measures might also assist this.

Ian Peter