AW: [governance] On WSIS+10 (was Re: Why?)

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun May 24 06:47:55 EDT 2015

Hi Louis,

here is the official list of PrepComs etc.: http://www.itu.int/wsis/preparatory/index.html

PrepCom 1 in 2002 was a one week meeting occupied by procedural discussions. No substance. But you are certainly right that there had been numerous private meetings among groups of governments and other stakeholders. I was involved in a meeting in May 2002 in London, organized by WAAC with Sean O`Siochru, Pradip Thomas and others. There had been preparatory meetings, inter alia, by UNESCO, where we pushed for a language in the rule of procedures which would have given civil society an equal status. In Bill Drakes book  I have a chapter of about 40 pages which goes back to the details how CS self-organized within the WSIS process.

Lessons learned? Little!

Wolfgang