[governance] Why?

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Tue May 19 12:40:41 EDT 2015

All,

I strongly agree with what Wolfgang says below.

I've been very involved in civil society projects in the past, and I have been following these lists for years and from time to time, contributing significantly to them.  I've stopped contributing to the lists because I see little purpose in it.  They appear to focus mostly on who is undisputedly right in a variety of definitions and intellectual arguments.

Unless there are, first and foremost, some relatively shared and agreed upon achievable goals, these discussions become nothing more than a conversation.  If you have the time, and are interested in the topic, then you join the conversation.  But let's not confuse such a conversation with serious consideration of progress toward goals.

Once you have goals that are sufficiently clearly articulated and accepted, then you need to agree on the various means of working toward achieving them.

Perhaps I'm not thinking in the right way about this subject, but I don't see either of the above processes taking place in these lists.  Bickering has taken over.  Without goals and a plan, I personally don't see much relevance or value in the current milieu of unpleasant exchanges of messages.

George