[governance] Call for Participation: Global Congress on Intellectual Property and the Public Interest, 2015

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sun May 17 14:04:03 EDT 2015

"Everyone knows what multistakeholder is. That’s easy."

Respectfully, (I'm making a comment/asking for clarification, not trying to
pick a quarrel), I have the impression that the problem is that everyone
*doesn't* know, or rather that everyone doesn't agree. "Multistakeholder"
seems to me to have become a "Humpty Dumpty" word -
'When *I* use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it
means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'
(from Alice Through the Looking Glass/Lewis Carroll /
http://sabian.org/looking_glass6.php)
I've begun to record, for my own benefit, when how and where the term is
used, and to notice those contexts in which it is not used.
Does "multistakeholder" now have a stable definition? Does
"multistakeholderism"?
Best wishes
Deirdre

On 17 May 2015 at 11:13, Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) <TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg> wrote:

>  >So, in fact, indeed the dominant groups involved with the IGF process
> do seem to think that 'public interest' is a problematic concept, and the
> idea of 'multistakeholder perspective' or interest is a positive political
> evolution over it!
>
>  What a curious (mis)reading.
>
>  First of all, I do not see how the APrIGF can be representative of
> “dominant groups”. We are, at best/worst an n of 1. Nah, I would not want
> to be one of the MASTERS of the UNIVERSE.
>
>  Second, it is precisely because public interest is a problematic concept
> that the APrIGF is not using that notion. We have no time to discuss it
> before we roll out the meeting. Everyone knows what multistakeholder is.
> That’s easy. But public interest—we could discuss it as a panel if you wish.
>
>  It would of course have to be next year.
>
>  But if I say that it is next year, it is because of the deadline. Not
> because, once again, that public interest is not a problematic conception.
>
>  Regards,
> Peng Hwa
>
>   From: Parminder Singh <parminder at ITforChange.net>
> Date: Sunday, 17 May 2015 9:46 pm
> To: "governance at lists.igcaucus.org" <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>,
> BestBitsList <bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>, "Forum at Justnetcoalition. Org"
> <forum at justnetcoalition.org>
> Subject: Re: [governance] Call for Participation: Global Congress on
> Intellectual Property and the Public Interest, 2015
>
>  Interesting theme of this series of global congresses: 'Intellectual
> Property and the Public Interest' !
>
> Wonder if you ever thought of calling it "IP and the multistakeholder
> Interest' ?
>
> You all have have seen the discussion I recently had with Peng Hwa, head
> of the AP regional IGF process for many years, who strongly argued that
> public interest perspective is a very unclear concept but multistakeholder
> perspective or interest is much easier to establish.
>
> The discussion started when I objected to the call for workshops for the
> AP regional IGF which was categorical that every workshop proposal must
> incorporate a 'multistakeholder perspective'. I suggested that it be
> replaced by 'public interest'. This suggestion was not accepted.  So, in
> fact, indeed the dominant groups involved with the IGF process do seem to
> think that 'public interest' is a problematic concept, and the idea of
> 'multistakeholder perspective' or interest is a positive political
> evolution over it!
>
> Friends, these are serious post-democratic developments to which, it is my
> duty of observe, most of the civil society involved in IG area are either a
> silent or active accomplices.
>
> Meanwhile, of course, I wait for arguments that Internet ( unlike
> intellectual property!?) is a bottom up , private, etc etc, thing, and
> therefore its governance has to be different....  Well, lets admit it, such
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979