[governance] Fnancial economy of Internet freedom [was Political economy ....]

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu May 7 10:42:43 EDT 2015

On Thursday 07 May 2015 05:30 PM, Jefsey wrote:
> At 11:46 07/05/2015, parminder wrote:
>> http://boundary2.org/2015/04/29/dissecting-the-internet-freedom-agenda/
>
> Seems interesting. But what I am interested in first in in dissecting
> the financing of the internet freedom activists. Does someone knows
> something trustable to read in that area?
>
> When there is a meeting somewhere in the world, how civil society
> members happen to be there? Who does actually pull the string wallets
> and wallet strings? Who does foot the civil society bill?
>
> Just to know how politically (un)correct should my association be to
> qualify? And where to apply?

Yes, JFC, this is perhaps the single most important issue - to try to
understand and perhaps apply corrective pressures on the current IG
related civil society (CS) configuration... But unfortunately the
involved CS is unable to build any kind of consensus on this all
important issue, or to act on it... It is so surprising that a sector
whose raison d'etre is to seek accountability from all those who are
powerful itself refuses to to be held accountable. In fact, raising this
issue in these civil society groups has attracted most vile responses,
as for instance Norbert faced a year or two back.

My organisation has proposed to some key players to set up a online
register of  some kind for CS players in the IG space, on the lines of
EU Transparency Register
http://ec.europa.eu/transparencyregister/public/homePage.do . But our
discussions went nowhere.

Once, again, I appeal  to key CS groups involved here to join efforts to
develop such an online register. If it is needed for corporate
lobbyists, it is today needed much more for CS groups as well. /*My
organisation is happy to take a lead to be the initial point of contact
for those interested to develop such an initiative. Once there is an
initial mass of groups/ individuals they can together choose an
appropriate governance structure for the initiative. */

So many IG documents to day speak of transparency among stakeholder
groups, but little is done in practice (including the CSTD working group
on IGF improvement, and the much celebrated Net Mundial document). CS
must of course take the lead, and the conscience keeper of governance
processes.

parminder