[governance] Debunking eight myths about multi-stakeholderism

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue May 5 00:53:50 EDT 2015

inline...

On May 1, 2015 at 08:41 kichango at gmail.com (Mawaki Chango) wrote:
 > And in addition to the question about who is a stakeholder - who is
 > enfranchisable and do they get enfranchised? - there is the question of who
 > is listened to? Are the stakeholders equally listened to or are some "more
 > equally" listened to than others? [1] In my experience, assuming we have
 > clear answers to Barry's great questions, this remains a persistent
 > challenge in MS processes where people consistently tend to listen more
 > other people they are culturally acquainted with. At times the risk of a MS
 > setting turning into a club is palpable.

Thank you. Yes, that is exactly my concern also. Hence some desire
formalize enfranchisement, a long haul no doubt.

 > On Apr 29, 2015 6:04 PM, "Barry Shein" <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > Or by whatever the process for approving decisions is, voting is to
 > > some extent a metaphor for any reasonably inclusive and transparent
 > > approval process.
 >
 > Right! It has been my impression MS-ism tends to be skeptical about voting
 > per se and tends to prefer consensus processes not formally based on a
 > proper voting as known so far in demonstratic processes. One may understand
 > why, although one may or may not agree. Such voting requires well defined
 > boundaries ahead of time - the boundaries of the polity, of the
 > enfranchised, so far all individuals notwithstanding the opinion of the
 > current US Supreme Court - meaning those boundaries are closed at least at
 > some point. Once those boundaries are defined and implemented, it is a 'one
 > person one vote' business, which MS-ism does not find all that friendly.
 >
 > Or am I mistaken in my reading?

Mostly addressing [1] below: Consensus works in technical contexts
because the issues can usually be reduced to more objective measures,
or even reduced to no real difference in value: Shall we put a 4 or a
5 in each packet to indicate this protocol version?

I do understand that even such minor issues can become very
contentious particularly when vendors may have such large monied
interests in seemingly "Endian" differences:

  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/endian

When resources are at stake consensus may not be an option.

 > /Brought to you by Mawaki's droid agent
 >
 > [1] Please set aside cases such as IETF. We are discussing broader policies
 > which may impact potentially everyone and in which potentially anyone could
 > be involved, not just processes whereby technical artifacts are designed or
 > modified, issues requiring specialized knowledge which cannot be acquired
 > in a day or two of preparation by any (basicly) literate individual.
 > > Or by whatever the process for approving decisions is, voting is to<br>
 > > some extent a metaphor for any reasonably inclusive and transparent<br>
 > > approval process.</p>

   -b