[governance] A Response re. Just Net Coalition and Internet Social Forum

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat May 2 17:16:35 EDT 2015

On Sunday 03 May 2015 02:04 AM, Ralf Bendrath wrote:
> Am 30.01.2015 um 12:04 schrieb "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang":
>
>> good that you remember the Geneva CS declaration from 2003.
> FWIW, it's here -also the CS statement on the 2005 WSIS II:
> <http://www.worldsummit2003.de/en/nav/14.htm>
>
>> As you
>> know, the WSIS 10 conference in December 2015 will be a purely
>> intergovernmental meeting with a final intergovernmental document.
>> They want to have a multistakeholder discussion phase before the
>> intergovernmental negotiations phase. With other words, there is no
>> way for CS to participate in the drafting of the final document from
>> a CS perspective.

Do however know/ remember that

1. Developing countries fought for almost two years seeking a WSIS plus
10 'summit' in the full original WSIS style, with prep coms and all ,
which would have followed all practises adopted during the original
WSIS... There are G 77 drafts for UN resolution with that language.

2. US led developed countries group simply refused to allow it, strongly
and consistently, which is why the UN assembly decision about WSIS plus
10 kept being postponed over a year and a half, and *which is why* we
are having a truncated WSIS 10 in NY rather than a full summit process
with preparatory processes in Geneva.

3. Rather significantly, and that may interest this list even more,
prominent civil society players, either actively or implicitly, followed
and supported the US led developed countries' approach. Which of course
have contributed to where we are now with the WSIS plus 10. I often
raised this issue  during the last many months, seeking support for G 77
position for a 'full' WSIS plus 10  but always met a stony silence.
Wolfgang, would you refuse this fact that CS did not seek original WSIS
style WSIS plus 10 when developing countries were fighting for it, and
that includes yourself... So why rue it now... This to me appears
extremely strange. Other then, well, of course, to play the routine band
of decrying 'governments (read developing country governments) claiming
more control'. No, this is untrue.. WSIS is happening in NY in a
truncated manner - not following original WSIS processes - not because
of G 77 but because of the so call global IG multistakeholder-ists - led
by the US, and including a very big section of IG CS, who want to
sideline if not fully abandon UN with respect to any role in global IG.
Lets please not distort history.

Not only active efforts were made by the so called global IG
multistakeholderists, including civil society players, to downplay WSIS
plus 10, and that still continues, formations like the NetMundial
initiative, as also the London process (whose latest meeting took place
in The Hague) are all part of the plot to take global Internet
governance and policy out of the UN to captured spaces. After having
fully contributed to developing that situation, how convenient now to
rue the truncated NY based WSIS plus 10! Any thing and every thing goes
as long as it can contribute to a well orchestrated dominant discourse
which basically  simply supports the US led global IG status quo.

parminder