[governance] Debunking eight myths about multi-stakeholderism

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Fri May 1 05:58:01 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> FWIW, the usual characterization of Tyranny of the Majority is 51%
> voting to kill the other 49%.

"Tyranny of the majority" is directly related to the problem of how
minorities' interests are guarded.  It's not about a bare majority
overtaking nearly the other half.  The founders in the US, both at
state level and federal, were very concerned about government running
out of control, including a kind of mob rule in legislatures.   I
don't think anyone in this thread is referencing the term very well,
but for instance checks and balances function in part as checks on
simple majoritarianism (like bicameralism, the notion of a higher
house, processes that balance representation of states versus
populations such that more populous states like California and Texas
don't have inordinate influence, the electoral college based on the
structure of representation in the legislature, federalism, tripartite
government with judicial review, fundamental rights, etc.).
Constitutions put in lots of features to operate as checks on the
government getting out of control, and indeed minorities have little
else to rely on besides these structural elements of constitutions to
guard their interests.  Court cases on discrimination are often about
this sort of issue.

Seth