[governance] [bestbits] The Real Cyber War The Political Economy of Internet Freedom

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:50:27 EDT 2015

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Further to our conversation last week - I have a contact who is a librarian
working at a small academic library here with some access to the electronic
collections of the main university library. She was unable to locate this
book, but sent me what she did find, a 29 page excerpt which includes the
table of contents and the introductory chapter. I'll share that with anyone
who is interested but it's a large pdf file (10 MB) probably because it
includes the cover which I haven't worked out yet how to remove, so please
contact me off-list.

Meanwhile, answering Arzak, yes I wish there was something we could do. The
Open Educational Resources movement is making a lot of resources available.
Authors themselves frequently share. As authors ourselves we can consider
refusing to accept the draconian copyright requirements of some publishers,
although for academics working in a "must publish" environment this could
be a very hard decision. We can help to build towards Creative Commons
<http://creativecommons.org/> as a basic standard for publishing by
supporting it.

Most of all we can continue to remind people of the inequalities that still
obtain in our "global village". It is sometimes very difficult to
comprehend what "everyday life" is, as seen through the eyes of someone
living in a different part of the world from where one lives oneself.

Please let me know (off list) if you are interested in the file and I'll
forward it to you. Better yet, explain to me how to remove the cover page
from the pdf file first :-)

Best wishes
Deirdre