[governance] Your support is needed: Internet in Yemen is under assault

Walid Al-Saqaf admin at alkasir.com
Fri Mar 27 14:57:55 EDT 2015

Dear Yassin,

It looks like it is a wise thing to keep the satellite Internet option
available in case the whole Internet goes down intentionally or not.

I am in Sweden now but travel to Yemen part of the year. When I was there
last year, I noticed that satellite Internet was available but extremely
expensive. Yet in times of war, it is access to the world  that counts the
most. I'll proceed to ask around for the best satellite Internet deals.

If there's a service provider that can provide discounted or better free
service to ISOC-Yemen or other civil society entities for emergency use,
that would be great.

So far we don't need it, but as was the case with other countries in the
past a total Internet shutdown should not come as a surprise.

Best.

Walid Al-Saqaf