[governance] Fwd: [bestbits] The Real Cyber War The Political Economy of Internet Freedom - How the freedom-to-connect movement aids Western hegemony

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:56:59 EDT 2015

I'm trying to get hold of the book - I think it would be an interesting
read.
Judging by this:

They argue that efforts to create a universal internet built upon Western
legal, political, and social preferences is driven by economic and
geopolitical motivations rather than the humanitarian and democratic ideals
that typically accompany related policy discourse. In fact, the
freedom-to-connect movement is intertwined with broader efforts to
structure global society in ways that favor American and Western cultures,
economies, and governments.

from the review, the text would seem to address your concerns, although I
should like to be able to have a "flick through" to be sure, before
committing to buying it.
By the way, it was interesting to note that the price of $12.49 US here
<http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_14?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=the+real+cyber+war&sprefix=The+real+cyber%2Cnull%2C332>
jumped
to $14.49 here
<http://www.amazon.com/Real-Cyber-War-Political-Communication-ebook/dp/B00UGIKUVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1427376048&sr=1-1&keywords=the+real+cyber+war>