[governance] Pro-multistakeholderist versus pro-democracy viewpoints

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Mar 10 15:21:34 EDT 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:46:15 +0000
Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> First, I've been criticizing the term "MS" for years, I recognize its
> limitations and have stoutly resisted its transformation into a
> religion.

By the way, I certainly agree that Milton definitely deserves
recognition and respect for these efforts, including in regard to the
many insightful blog posts that he has made in this context over the
years. I write this while disagreeing with some aspects of those
blog posts, in particular I disagree with what I see as a stance of
extremely pro-capitalist economic liberalism.

> The reason I resist JNC-style calls for democracy, however, is (and I
> thought I explained this in my first post) that JNC seems to be
> advocating either a reassertion of state-based national
> government/multilateral 'democracy', or an isomorphic translation of
> 20th century nation state democracy to the global level. If that shoe
> doesn't fit you, or anyone else in JNC, don't wear it.

To my best knowledge this shoe doesn't fit anyone in JNC. In any case
I'm certainly not going to wear it.

> I also don't
> see their version of democracy as sufficiently seasoned with
> liberalism, and democracy without liberalism is just mob rule, which
> on a global scale seems disastrous to me.

JNC's demands for democratic governance could be described much more
accurately as seeking to prevent mob role, and seeking to end it where
it currently exists.

Greetings,
Norbert
co-convenor, Just Net Coalition (JNC)