[governance] Pro-multistakeholderist versus pro-democracy viewpoints

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Mar 10 02:04:49 EDT 2015

On 9 Mar 2015, at 5:38 pm, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> Recent events seem to indicate, in my eyes at least, that a significant
> divide which is in existence within civil society in relation to
> Internet governance can be characterized appropriately as follows:
>
> a) Pro-multistakeholderist viewpoints, which are characterized by
> elevating a principle of multistakeholderism to a very high status, and
> it fact giving it a status which is as high or higher than the status
> which is ascribed to the principle that Internet governance must be
> democratic.

	I think trying to keep the argue at the level of principles is likely to be unhelpful, and to lead to continued disagreement and confusion.

	How things are articulated into actual governance structures is important. FWIW, above either multi-stakeholderism or democracy as a principle I value openness and transparency.

	Democracy has, in practice, become a complex system with many different things required for effective democracy, and we have shown time and again that once you remove openness and transparency from democratic processes, they become corrupted and weakened. We have, for example, the specific examples before us of TTIP and TPPA, opaque and closed processes, largely negotiated by democratic nations, that are promising terrible undemocratic outcomes. On a larger scale we have the mass surveillance machine (all 5 Eyes nations are undeniably democratic). And numerous secret trade and security treaties, numerous programs designed to serve influential elites, and so on.
	Democracy is a term that is both loosely defined and complex, and what exactly is meant by democratic is crucial. As an example of complexity, for example generally democracy is taken to include an independent judiciary, which is selected on meritocratic not democratic grounds in most nations - and despite this, such an institution is considered to be a vital part of democracy to many. A more general issue with what is a democratic is the difference between aggregative and representative ideas vs deliberative - some of us feel that the deliberative function of democracy is crucial, and by having open and transparent policy discussions multi-stakeholder fora are generally supportive of democratic ideals, and the JNC position often seems to hold that the aggregative role of democracy is far more important than the deliberative. Indeed, JNC positions often seem to imply that consensus itself undermines democracy and majoritarian positions, where a minority can more easily be overruled, are to be preferred. Actually having real answers to what we, in practical terms, mean by democracy in a particular context is crucial.

	And conversely I support multi-stakeholder processes when, and because, they are open and transparent. Through ICANN processes I know that positions are argued on the public record, that anyone who wishes can participate (there are barriers to entry, but no gates - the technical understanding of a complex policy area is not easy, but no one barred from gaining it), that there are no back rooms accessible only to lobbyists. When multi-stakeholder processes are not open and transparent (such as some WEF processes) I no longer support them.

> This is often done by insisting on the importance of
> multistakeholder governance without mentioning democracy at all.

	I don’t think this is done at all to elevate one principle over another, and I only think it seems so to those who are holding on to a viewpoint in which the two are somehow opposed.

> b) Pro-democracy viewpoints, which are characterized by insisting that
> Internet governance must be democratic. Pro-democracy viewpoints may
> involve endorsement of multistakeholder processes for Internet
> governance (even if not all who hold pro-democracy viewpoints would
> necessarily agree in any way with multistakeholderism), but the
> principle that governance must be democratic would always be seen as
> having greater importance and a higher priority than any endorsement of
> multistakeholderism.

	In other words - you are creating an argument here, essentially out of nothing. You are defining a matter of principle as being of great importance, you are then defining it in a way

	And further more, JNC members are, from time to time, taking on positions that I consider obviously and grossly detrimental to democracy in the global big picture, and then saying anyone who does not agree with them is against democracy. It is nothing but rhetoric designed to discuss a very different policy position.

> From the above it would be clear that any consensus between those who
> hold a pro-multistakeholderist viewpoint and those who hold a
> pro-democracy viewpoint would involve agreeing on a path forward for
> Internet governance that is multistakeholderist as well as democratic.

	Absolutely. But you need to define what democracy would practically mean in that context, and do so in a way that doesn’t is both practically implementable and meaningfully democratic.
	So, ways in which you would define democratic multistakeholderism that would have the practical effect of weakening the position (especially the soft power position) of democratic nations, and so relatively strengthening authoritarian nations, would not suffice. Positions such as retaining 35 a) of the Tunis Agenda, and other positions that essentially strengthen the role of states, would seem to fail on this criteria. Similarly handing increased power for general Internet governance issues to the ITU.
	Ways of creating a democratic multistakeholderism that involve creating new global governance mechanisms that are likely to be strongly objected to by major states would seem to fail on practical grounds. While I have no objection at all to a situation that involves a significant democratic involvement by the citizens of China, one that would have to bypass the strong undemocratic bias of their state, I can’t see it happening in a useful time frame.
	So please, I, and I am sure many members of civil society, have no objection to the idea of democratic multi-stakeholderism in principle. But I find the approach you are taking here, Norbert, that we should agree on the principle of democracy (without defining what that means) and then a practical solution can be found, doomed - not on grounds of ideological disagreement but on grounds of a basically unsound method. You are trying to manufacture agreement before really defining what we are agreeing on.

	And I certainly have no objection to making existing multi-stakeholder institutions more democratic in operation, for a variety of properties of democratic. There were proposals floating for making ICANN a membership based organisation, for example, which would appear at least on a surface level to be more democratic (though the devil is always in the details). Certainly many accountability reforms would have the effect of making it more democratic in practice.

	Cheers

		David