[governance] Whose lives are we helping, anyway? WAS Re: [bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 13:52:20 EDT 2015

This list is drifting back into terminology arguments, yet again.

Let me pick up a paragraph from Nick's prior post and pose a couple of questions.  First, here is his earlier text:

> I beg you all - think about the bigger picture. I have seen a great deal of arguing over words but almost no debate about how to ensure the next decade of WSIS is more focussed on improving the lives of real people and truly bridging the digital divide - in every sense of the word.

So here are the questions:

1. What advances and/or changes in 'Internet governance,' at any level, are likely in the short and medium run to improve the lives of people in terms of their economic and social well-being?

2. What are the institutions well positioned to help make these advances?  Do we have adequate institutions to do the job?  What is lacking, if anything, in terms of resources, organization, or coordination?

3. Are these the right questions to be asking?  What other questions are directly relevant to improving peoples' economic and social well-being?

George