[governance] Pro-multistakeholderist versus pro-democracy viewpoints

Benedek, Wolfgang (wolfgang.benedek@uni-graz.at) wolfgang.benedek at uni-graz.at
Mon Mar 9 06:44:20 EDT 2015

Dear Norbert,

I appreciate Your initiative as a welcome opportunity to move the
discussion forward. I have done some research in the past on
multistakeholder partnerships in other contexts. The findings showed that
the quality of the MSPs is decisive for their effectiveness and
sustainability. As larger the asymmetrical relationship in terms of
information, participation, political power and funding as weaker the
results. One could also argue as more democratic the  relationship as
better, but with some qualifications. One is the issue of spoilers, who do
not share the basic consensus on which each cooperation needs to be based
and another is the fact that inequalities in resource endowment cannot be
democratized away, so donors will normally have more say than
beneficiaries.

Accordingly, the issue is about recognition of existing inequalities of
power and mitigating them to optimize the cooperation and with it the
results to be achieved.This includes demystifying concepts like
"partnerships" by addressing existing inequalities and being transparent
about the objectives of the different partners.

To apply the concept of democracy in this context means to adjust it to
the relationships to be addressed, which are not the same as on the state
level among citizens. We also have for many years a discussion on
"democratization" of international economic organizations, which mainly
means more participations of CS acting in the public interest. This can
improve the quality and the acceptance of decisions. The call for further
democratization of IG in my view goes in the same direction, but much will
depend on how united CS is in its demands and if partners can be convinced
of the value-added of more equal participation for all stakeholders.

Wolfgang Benedek