[governance] [bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Benedek, Wolfgang (wolfgang.benedek@uni-graz.at) wolfgang.benedek at uni-graz.at
Sat Mar 7 09:02:22 EST 2015

First to make my position clear I'm myself an advocate of democratic
governance and a holistic approach to human rights although not as an
alternative to multistakeholderism, the potential of which in my view
still needs to be developed.

Second I have myself proposed in writing to the Secretariat to include
certain language on global citizenship education, a concept supported by
the UN Secretary General and developed very actively in the educational
sector of UNECO while only mentioned once in the UNESCO study to resolve
ethical issues in cyberspace. Finally, the concept was only mentioned
without any elaboration. And I'm aware that several other proposals made
by others were not taken up at all.

Regarding the baggage issue, I'm not an insider to these discussions, I
have no problem with appeals to democratic values, but I'm aware that the
concept of democracy has also been misused a lot in history, take the
examples of the former German Democratic Republic(GDR), the Democratic
Republic of Congo (DRC) or the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea. It
would be good to work for a consensus on the understanding and role of
democracy in the context of the internet among civil society and academia
first before forcing it into international documents.

Wolfgang Benedek