[governance] [Members] One view of what happened at the UNESCO conference

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:31:02 EST 2015

Richard doesn't subscribe to either of these lists so I'm passing this along
on his behalf.

Please note that the issue of the suppression of the terminology of
"democracy" in the UNESCO statement is not simply about words.  It is more
directly about the attempt to suppress or replace democratic practice with
multistakeholderism initially in areas of Internet Governance but (based on
published USG documents) in a wide range of global (and presumably other)
decision making processes.  Thus the "red line" that was crossed by various
parties (presumably by some, without thinking through its significance) in
agreeing to or supporting this suppression process is of much deeper and
wider ranging significance than one isolated document in a flurry of other
documents.

I would expect, given this and the below that various individuals and
organizations particularly but not exclusively in civil society might wish
to disavow themselves of the Outcome Statement and thus disassociate
themselves from this blatant attempt at shifting the global decision making
paradigm from one that is based on a foundation of democratic norms and
aspirations to one anchored in elite based multi-stakeholder decision
processes.