[governance] [bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Shawna Finnegan shawna at apc.org
Fri Mar 6 14:35:44 EST 2015

Dear Michael, Parminder

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I will try to respond to the
points that you have both raised, reminding you that I am speaking
from personal opinion, and not as an APC representative.

On 15-03-05 04:20 PM, Michael Gurstein wrote:
> Those are very good questions Shawna and let me try to answer in
> discursive rather than declarative mode...
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Shawna Finnegan
> [mailto:shawna at apc.org] Sent: March 5, 2015 2:22 PM To: Michael
> Gurstein Cc: bestbits at lists.bestbits.net;
> governance at lists.igcaucus.org Subject: Re: [bestbits] Remarks at
> UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

> Michael,
>

> Could you please describe the precise fears that you have of a
> global governance paradigm based on multi-stakeholder processes?
>

> */[MG] That is a difficult question since honestly I am quite
> unclear as to which of the variety of stakeholder models is being
> proposed at any particular time or in any particular context, which
> of course is one of the major sources of hesitation that I have
> with these kinds of proposals.  Before entering into a decision
> making process and particularly one that will have real and
> potentially very significant consequences I want to know what the
> rules of the game are. Who is involved, where they came, who are
> they accountable to and how, what overall structures of
> accountability will be in place, what decision making
> rules/procedures will be followed, and so on and so on.
> Unfortunately with the way in MSism is conventionally presented it
> is rather buying a "pig in a poke"... one is expected to buy into
> the meme and then take one's chances with whatever turns up re:
> what will actually occur in a specific decision making context.  My
> own experiences in attempting to participate in MS processes as
> evidenced in my blog give some indication at a micro-level of what
> is involved./*

sf: That is an interesting analogy for multi-stakeholder processes. As
a relative newcomer, my impression is that the rules of the 'game' are
still being determined, based on some core principles. Given the
complexity of IG history, actors and spaces, as well as the technical
infrastructure and global politics, I am not at all surprised that
these processes continue to change and evolve in different contexts.

However you could certainly make the argument that CS should not
engage in any process without clearly defined rules and structures of
accountability, especially if there is a high risk of capture by
private interests. I'd argue that private interests would continue to
influence the rules to their benefit, but it would at least address
some issues of accountability.

This might be a good point to address Parminder's question to Anriette
on Feb 27:

"Say, for instance, it was found useful to write a global normative
document on the 'role on data in the society', which would enable
countries to begin understanding this new terrain in normative terms
and can help the necessary legislative and regulatory work. (There are
innumerable such important documents, like on health, education, etc
written regularly at UN bodies.) In order to make it more concrete,
let us say, UNESCO was asked to do it. Who do think should make and
decide on the final document - governments, or governments and
corporates on an equal footing?"

Why do you exclude civil society from the decision? My personal
perspective would be for the final document to be agreed upon by as
representative a group of stakeholders as possible. The role of data
in society will be understood differently by individuals within the
technical community, end users, academics, corporations and government
representatives, all relative to where they are in the world and what
their experiences have been. If the document is to have any real
significance, those affected by it must feel they have some ownership
over it, that their perspective of the role of data in society has
been somehow taken into consideration.

How could we go about this in practice? Intensive outreach. Start with
local discussion groups of different stakeholders, ideally open to
anyone interested. These groups could sugget key text, red lines,
whatever they think is important to consider for the document. A few
representatives (chosen by whatever method the group decides is fair)
could then take those views to national and regional discussion groups
of diverse stakeholders. From there another group of regional
representatives would be chosen to engage in drafting the document.
The text would be available online, and representatives at this global
drafting would be responsible for going back to their regional groups,
which would in turn communicate with national and local groups.

It is a complex, expensive and time-consuming proposal, but I think it
would be much more effective than a purely state based process.

> */ /*
>
> */Further before entering into these kinds of "games" I want to
> know how they will work under conditions of conflict and stress and
> not just in conditions of presumed harmony and good will.  My
> observation is that MS processes do not work very well at all when
> there is conflict which is a major problem given that the basis of
> the approach is one where participants are involved specifically
> because they come from different contexts with presumably different
> interests which will inevitably result in conflicts of various
> kinds.  My observation is that when a MS process is subject to
> conflict or stress it immediately reverts to a defensive and
> control mode where privileged insiders close ranks, extrude the
> conflict (and its individual sources) and proceed as though nothing
> had occurred – in this way they are achieving consensus (which is
> of course the goal) but a consensus which reflects nothing more
> than the capacity of insiders to find a way of reconciling (and
> satisfying) insider's interests and eliminating the need to respond
> to divergent positions and interests./*

sf: Could you provide an example of an MS process subject to conflict
or stress that immediately reverted to defensive and controlled mode?
Was your interpretation that the CS involved were privileged insiders,
with their own interests?

> */ /*
>
> */Finally, I see no evident mechanisms to prevent elite
> capture--capture by elites within individual stakeholder groups
> since these groups have in most cases no obvious internal
> structures for ensuring appropriate levels of effective
> accountability/representivity, and capture by social/economic
> elites since these have the resources to participate and "manage"
> these processes in a way which no non-economic elite will be able
> to do in the absence of some form of external (state based)
> structures of enforcing accountability, transparency etc.  In the
> sphere of Internet Governance we are talking about decisions which
> ultimately will impact billions and even trillions of dollars of
> value.  Do you really think that an under or non-resourced civil
> society (or government such as those found in many LDC’s for that
> matter) will be able to resist the kind of resources which can and
> will be deployed to game those decision making processes in favour
> of elite and dominant interests./*

sf: I think here we again differ in our expectations of state based
structures of enforcing accountability. Government institutions may
have rules and structures to hold themselves accountable to the
people, but in practice they are incredibly vulnerable to those same
resources that you believe are irresistible to some civil society and
governments in MS processes. The risk of elite interests capturing
decision-making processes is high no matter what you do. Structures of
accountability only work if there is sustained engagement from people
outside the process, particularly civil society and media.

In this regard I think that some of the questions arising in this
UNESCO thread are extremely valuable to the ongoing accountability of
CS engaged in multi-stakeholder processes. Some questions, on the
other hand, are framed purely as accusations, and in my opinion are
intended to divide civil society.

> */ /*
>
> I think you may have too high expectations for democracy. The US
> government (along with Canada, the UK, and many other colonizing
> global powers) has been violating human rights and destroying
> societies long before 'multi-stakeholder' started to look like a
> paradigm.
>

> */[MG] Yes, no question but that suggests to me the need to
> redouble efforts to make democratic governance more effective and
> responsive rather than tossing it out on the faint hope that
> something (anything) might be better… /*

sf: Who is suggesting that we toss democratic governance?

> */ /*
>
> Multi-stakeholder governance is, in my opinion, an extension of
> democratic pluralism.
>

> */[MG] A form of pluralism perhaps, but I fail to see where the
> “democratic” comes in… perhaps you could explain./*

sf: I think the proposal that I suggested above for drafting a
document on the role of data in society is a good example of
democratic decision-making, with multiple layers of representation and
accountability.

> */ /*
>
> */ /*
>
> Powerful interests capture multi-stakeholder processes in much the
> same way as democratic processes.
>

> */[MG] Yes, very likely but with democratic processes there is at
> least the possibility of rectification.  With legitimized control
> by powerful (corporate) interests there is no possibility that I
> can see at rectification.  Those interests are in fact legally
> obliged (under current law) to maximize their individual interests
> whatever the collective good.

sf: They maximize profit, so our recourse is to put their profit at
risk. It is not easy, particularly when choices are limited, but civil
society has had past success in pressuring companies to change their
behaviour for the benefit of the collective good.

I can lobby my government, organize protests and voter
> campaigns to (possibly) achieve desired ends – how exactly do I
> influence Google or Disney or… for Google I can’t even find a
> phone number let alone how I might possibly impact on a decision
> that they have made or are making. But I agree that we need new and
> more effective means for achieving democratic accountability and
> better and more inclusive and responsive structures of democratic
> decision making—but tossing out hard won rights and gains that have
> been achieved over a thousand years and much much blood and
> struggle for an undefined “pig in a poke” doesn’t seem to me to be
> a very good social trade off to be making./*

sf: I still do not understand why you believe that engaging in
multi-stakeholder processes is effectively tossing out the gains made
in democratic decision-making.

> Going back to a previous comment you made in this thread, I am
> surprised to read that you would advocate for any conventional
> civil society grouping to shun an organization that did not
> actively endorse democracy as a fundamental principle. Justice is a
> fundamental principle. Democracy is a system of government. In
> practice, that system has been used as a tool to placate us and
> legitimize powerful interests.
>
> */ /*
>
> */[MG] See above but also it is necessary to separate the mechanics
> and structures of democratic governance from the norms and
> principles of democracy.

sf: Yes, it is necessary to separate in some way. but also to consider
whether and how the norms and principles of democracy have been
implemented in practice. If our existing structures have been wholly
insufficient to achieve the principles of democracy, then we must
seriously reconsider those structures.

Individual instances of supposed democratic governance may
> have failed or been misused or misdirected but that doesn’t mean
> that the aspiration of the people towards self-governance,
> empowerment, and social justice is not an appropriate aspiration
> which is to be lightly and cavalierly rejected in favour of
> governance by self-selected (and ultimately self-serving)
> elites./*

sf: Why must we abandon aspirations towards self-governance,
empowerment and social justice in order to engage in multi-stakeholder
processes?

> I very much agree that decisions made by civil society
> organizations now, even if through non-action, will have
> significant consequences long-term. And I agree that sometimes
> civil society need to walk out of negotiations. Perhaps we should
> have red lines. That is an important discussion to have.
>
> */ /*
>
> */[MG] yes../*

sf: I think this returns us to the point raised by Parminder on why CS
at the UNESCO meeting did not put their foot down against those who
said 'democracy has baggage' (in this context). If the individuals
present in the negotiations were representing our wider civil society,
and the consensus of our wider civil society is that democracy must be
included in all documents relating to internet governance, then
perhaps they should have walked out of the negotiations. However, I
don't think that there is necessarily consensus that democracy must be
included in all documents relating to internet governance,
particularly when the link is being made to a multilateral framing.

> */ /*
>
> */BTW, I am hearing you arguing in favour of Multistakeholder
> governance as an appropriate mode for Internet (and presumably)
> other areas of governance.  Is this the official position of
> APC?/*

sf: You heard incorrectly. I am simply trying to understand how you
view MS processes to be in direct conflict with democracy, and am
poking a few holes in the perspective that governments are the ideal
gatekeepers of internet policy.

As for APC's official position, I believe that I addressed that
question with the excerpt I sent from the WGEC submission.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Shawna