[governance] [bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Mar 5 19:02:31 EST 2015

On Mar 5, 2015, at 3:23 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> wrote:

> Notwithstanding the obvious circularity of that statement, if this means that you no longer support para 35 of the Tunis Agenda, and that Parminder misspoke when he supported it, then it's good to have finally established that.  Nonetheless, Anriette has effectively confirmed, with her note of the negotiations, my reading of the meaning of the text for which you are pushing in UN circles.  So will you be backing away from that text now, too?

Also I should point out that I did clarify personally with Richard Hill while I was in Paris that his interpretation of "democratic" and "public policy" referred to laws and treaties passed by states; when I contended that that needn't be the case and that public policies can be crafted by other means, he disagreed with me on that quite specifically.  This also accords with Anriette's report of how your language was being interpreted.  So it's hard for you to write my post off as a misinterpretation.  If it is true that you and/or other members of JNC didn't realise that the language you were advocating for was synonymous with multilateralism, then I'm afraid that you are being played.  (Though a number of us suspected that all along.)

PS. For clarity, as per my previous response to Dave Burstein, this doesn't, of course, mean that democratic *should* mean multilateral, or would mean that outside of a UN text negotiation.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt

PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en