[governance] [bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Shawna Finnegan shawna at apc.org
Thu Mar 5 14:23:13 EST 2015

Dear Michael,

While I am not active in these lists, I do try to follow the
discussion, and would like to take the opportunity to respond to your
question about whether APC has debated and agreed to favour notions of
'multistakeholderism' over a commitment to democracy.

In the 3+ years that I have worked with APC, my experience has been
that we debate the strengths and weaknesses of various
multi-stakeholder spaces on an ongoing basis, and discuss whether it
is strategic to engage in those spaces. At the same time, we support
our members to advocate for changes in laws and policies, and actively
engage in intergovernmental bodies, such as the UN Human Rights Council.

Moreover, when there is opportunity to contribute to ongoing
discussion about multistakeholder processes and 'enhanced
cooperation', APC has emphasized that multi-stakeholder participation
is a means to achieve inclusive democratic internet governance:

"Multi-stakeholder participation is not an end in itself, it is a means
to achieve the end of inclusive democratic internet governance that
enables the internet to be a force, to quote from the Geneva
Declaration, for “the attainment of a more peaceful, just and
prosperous world.”

(from our submission:
http://www.apc.org/en/system/files/APC_response_CSTD_WGEC_10092013.pdf)

There is no agreement to favour notions of 'multistakeholderism' over
a commitment to democracy because the dilemma is false. APC engages
where we see the opportunity to positively affect change.

Shawna

On 15-03-05 08:04 AM, Michael Gurstein wrote:
> Pardon my "tone" Anriette, but I find a UN document signed off on
> by significant elements of Civil Society which excludes reference
> to "democracy" in favour of the vague and non-defined terminology
> of "multistakeholderism
> <https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/the-multistakeholder-model-neo-liberalism-and-global-internet-governance/>"

and which equally excludes references in any way supportive of social