[governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Thu Mar 5 11:43:54 EST 2015

Dear Parminder

Did JNC include economic and social rights in the submission you made to
the UNESCO study? I mean beforehand.

All I can say is that the addition of economic and social rights was
made the afternoon when the statement was being finalised. I argued that
it should be included but it was not. If there was more time I think
that it would have been easy to include the reference to the ESCR treaty
in the preamble, and in the text. But translators were demanding the
text and time was up.

There were other things too that were argued which took time. The people
who submitted content will know what made it and what did not.

Whether civil society organisations accept the statement is up to them.

I did not claim to represent civil society in this process.  I was also
not the only civil society person on the committee. I truly did my best
to try and make sure the text accommodated strong concerns and spoke
with individuals from several governments and civil society
organisations - including JNC - in an effort to do so.

APC has always emphasised economic, social and cultural rights in
relation to the internet and will continue to do so.

The reason I said that adding 'democratic' was not an option was that on
the first day during the open discussion of the text Richard proposed
the text and several governments submitted comments to say that it is
non-negotiable for them and that if it was added they would dissociate
themselves with the document.

I shared this with Richard so that he had advance warning. The only way
of changing that would probably have been to work with government
delegations and convince them to argue for it.

I don't want to get into a long battle of words beyond this. Of course
there are political issues at play that we need to be aware of and
address. It is your view that JNC are the only people who are doing so.

I know that others, including APC, are also addressing these issues, in
multiple forums and in multiple ways.

Anriette