[governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Mar 5 08:27:43 EST 2015

On Thursday 05 March 2015 04:05 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
SNIP

> Michael, as for your tone, and your allegations. I don't really know
> what to say about them. They are false, they are destructive and they
> demean not only the work of the civil society organisations or
> individuals you name,

Michael responded basically to Jeremy, about whose manner of speaking
about CS 'colleagues' now and earlier perhaps is something which may
also require a comment.

And later when he mentions a series of organisations

"EFF? Access? APC? UNESCO?  ISOC? South Africa? Brazil? France?"

He is speaking at an entirely different level - he certainly makes no
allegation against them. He says he is happy that finally Jeremy is
publicly stating his stand on 'democratic', and his employer and other
organisations present in Paris, or otherwise major IG players, should
show hands on what they think about his twitterred statement - 'that
'democratic' has baggage'. They all must also go public on this all
crucial issue.

In fact, I think this is so important an issue, indeed all concerned
organisations should tell their views on this matter. We have for too
long avoided taking a stand on democracy and IG, and normative standards
seem slipping down fast. Good to take an upfront stand. Michael merely
asks these organisations to do so - he is certainly not alleging all
these organisations think the same as  Jeremy does- at least youd accept
South Africa is unlikely to agree.

parminder

  but also the work - and what I believe to be the