[governance] Text of speech - losing remarks at UNESCO Connecting the Dots Conference

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:03:56 EST 2015

Sigh, I thought the point that the issue of concern was not "access" but the
opportunity and means for
<http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1107/1027>
"effective/meaningful" use had been made in WSIS.

"Access" is relatively easy, just a matter of will and money. Ensuring that
folks are able to "use" the Internet in ways that are useful and meaningful
to them, given their individual and collective priorities is a rather more
difficult and time consuming task, so it tends to be ignored when big
governments or big corps or big NGO's are tossing money at the problem.