[governance] [IRPCoalition] A message from R2K to Britain's spies at GCHQ

Chris Prince Udochukwu Njoku udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng
Wed Jun 24 16:49:20 EDT 2015

Colleagues,

You see? Many governments, especially those who believe they rule the
world, are desperate to take charge of the Internet. They feel threatened
by the fact that the Internet is unlike their physical kingdoms where they
easily fill the streets with heavily armed devouring security personnel
against peaceful road marches for good governance, transparency,
anti-corruption, no torture and human rights protection. They feel
threatened by the fact that the Internet allows unrestrictive freedom of
expression and make it easy for the world to unearth and timeline cry out
against their secret arrests, executions and other misdemeanors. They
attempt to distract further discussions on multi-stakeholder Internet
governance and to probably mar impending universal endorsement of the
approach. These are why civil society and those nation states (like Brazil)
who stand on multi-stakeholderism (emphasized in ITU's briefing papers:
"Supporting Multistakeholderism in Internet Governance" and "The Enhanced
Cooperation Process") must step up efforts against government control of
the Internet.

The 6 opinions regarding fundamental issues of Internet governance,
endorsed by World Telecommunication/ICT Policy Forum on 14-16 May 2013, are
still valid. Brazil's 7th opinion: "Operationalising the role of
governments in the multi-stakeholder model for internet governance" still
needs to be discussed and endorsed.

I agree "in toto cubidem" with Jean-Louis that the contents of the
agreement between the governments of South Africa (SA) and China on
Internet governance and cybersecurity should be made public. It might not
be ruled out that SA is moving to "import" Chinese Internet censorship
technology.

The forthcoming WSIS+10 Review is a critical exercise (which ought not
overlook WSIS+10 Visioning Challenge Document produced during 2013 World
Summit on the Information Society Forum) and should be an opportunity to
showcase (NOT hypothesize) the positive impact of the Internet in light of
UN Declaration of Human Rights, Millennium Development Goals and good
governance in many countries.

It's noteworthy that all that the Internet had achieved in human and
community development wouldn't have been possible if governments had been
in charge of the Internet.

>From Amnesty International and One.org's online petitions that had secured
people's rights, through ISOC's Community Grants that had come a long way
in bridging the digital divide, to Massachusetts Institute of Technology's
Open Courseware, United Nations University's online degree programs and
Coursera + EdX + other MOOCs that had enabled knowledge/skills improvement
for many people who were hitherto educationally disabled, there are people
with live stories of how the Internet and other ICTs transform lives and
shape personal and communal directions. These are the people who should be
brought in to paint the real (or, if you like, sharpen the) picture of ICTs
in development. Someone had expressed this line of thought in one of our
Internet Policy List discussions on WSIS+10 preparatory process. That
colleague was right on.

The borderlessness of the Internet MUST not be abused for international
electronic espionage and cross-border invasion of people's rights and
privacy. So, mass surveillance, in whatever guise, is unacceptable to me
and should be so to all.

Cheers.

CPU.

University of Nigeria