[governance] [bestbits] The decentralization of the DNS system

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 06:36:39 EDT 2015

<cc list trimmed, as is only polite>

Here are my factual interjections:

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 1:02 AM, Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global
Journal <jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net> wrote:
> Willi,
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If I may put two comments on this.
>
> 1_
> In my opinion, "decentralization" seems not to be the appropriate word to
> describe what and how to change the current monopole under ICANN.

Agreed, the DNS is already "decentralized" by it's very nature.  I
think the word that willi seeks is "non-hierarchical".

<un-parseable snipped>

> 2_
> Localisation is often associated with the idea of "nation". Keep in mind
> that this could mean to imprison people into old boundaries. Localisation
> might be interesting if a community decides to set up its own network (see
> the Spanish experiment on this) but that does not address the DNS issue.
>
> In other words, decentralization has been a buzz word propagated by the
> current owners/rulers of the DNS root zoot management.

See above, the DNS is by nature "decentralized"

And basically it is
> part of the dominant narrative related to the so-called, open, free,
> decentralized Internet under US/allies ruling boot. Localisation might
> equate to a returning in the past, pushing us back within the boundaries of
> the old national thinking. Not sure if we really want this.
>
> What is more needed is either a global common governance (option one), with
> a public interest perspective, or a competitive market. Were we not
> satisfied with the ICANN, we should turn to another root-zone manager. This
> is no dream or utopia. I am no longer sending my domain name request to an
> ICANN affiliate server, but instead using the Open-Root system to find
> whatever I am looking for on the web.

IIUC, Open-Root uses different servers, but publishes the same
rootzone contents.

Thanks to Open-Root, we are also
> providing for free one domain name with a gTLD managed by Open-Root to NGOs.

If this is a TLD not published in the IANA root, the vast majority of
users can't see it.

> When the new gTLD .ngo by PIR (Public INterest Registry) given by ICANN to
> ISOC (PIR is ISOC's TLD roommate and milk cow) is an additional business
> supposed to make more money, we are happy to provide access to IPs through
> an independent, cheap (for free, or paid for life) domain name.

Not literally "access to IPs" but rather "IP addresses can be resolved
through"  I hope.

 All our
> computers are using Open-Root DNS management to access website that ICANN et
> al cannot see if we do not want the US surveillance apparatus to see it.

The DNS is not the means of access to packets that surveillance
systems use, generally speaking.

willi speaks of " requires the knowledge of the geographical position
of the target in order to determine the direction to this" (target
host).

In fact, routers only "know" which of their neighboring routers to
forward packets to, they do not "know" the final geo-destination, only
the destination IP address of the target and the Autonomous System
which announces that IP block.

--
Cheers,

McTim

> [...]
> information so that the router can select the most direct route.
>
> The decentralization of the DNS system rests on the cascade steadily reduced
> regions. The first level is the ccTLD. So a country with borders, as we know
> it today. We can use this, although it is not optimal. All other levels are
> determined exclusively in their regions. The administration, as set, change,
> and resolve, only happens in the region. This applies to each level.
>
> The organizational level for the ccTLD is the association of the countries
> on our planet. So the UN. The regions within a country are organizational
> objects in the respective country. Local regions are organizational
> properties of the larger region.
>
> The organizational models are always determined at the level of each region.
> In order for a region in Brazil is achieved via the ccTLD ".br" worldwide.
> But their internal deeper structure may be different from the structure in
> Kenya, India or Russia. Regardless of the specific local / regional
> organizational structure of the DNS system, we always get the correct IP
> address for our goal. Only the principles of the resolution of a  domain
> sequence into a numeric IP address is the subject of our common discussion.
>
> With the local self-organization we dissolve the need for global Internet
> Governance. This may for organizations, that are derive its raison d'être
> from the global Internet Governance, be uncomfortable. We carry this with
> serenity.
>
> Important for us is to help all the people in the different regions of our
> planet to organize their own DNA structure in accordance with their own
> principles. This makes it possible for all people of our planet to connect
> to all regions of our planet for the communication.
>
> We have several instruments which have well proven in the history of the
> Internet. The most important instrument are the RFCs. With that we can best
> explain the principles of decentralized DNS system. And this is also the
> place where we describe the global access to the ccTLD's. The rest is
> regional and local task.
>
> The dynamics in the inventory of domains can be very large. But this task is
> clearly and simply by  decentralization of the administration.
>
> An important field of our activities in the IG forums is the propagation of
> a free access to the setting up, modification and dissolution of a domain.
> Technically this is not a major challenge, because the processing of an item
> can be organized by the applicants themselves. There is only one set in a
> simple database. The blockages are in the bureaucratic systems. But the
> dissolution of these blockades always remains the task of the people in
> their regions.
>
> With the help of free software and open source software we can do this very
> easily realized in a large cooperation. So the DNS system is an experiential
> field of creative and international cooperation.

Cheers,

McTim