[governance] The decentralization of the DNS system

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr at riseup.net
Fri Jun 19 17:28:04 EDT 2015

The decentralization of the DNS system

We need a completely self-organizing Internet. And this is possible only
through massive decentralization. We can look at the difficulties at the
beginning of the Internet with tolerance. They were mostly of technical
nature. But today we have other conditions. And under such other
conditions arise other possibilities.

It is about the IP address. It is necessary to ensure that the packets
find their direct path to their goals. The router work with numbers. We
humans with text. The content is the same. Only the representation is
different.

The Internet, a transport system for digital data in packet form, needs
the destination address in order to direct the packets to their
destinations. The packages contain that destination address. Thus, the
packets are always the instance to activate and orient the router.

This, however, requires the knowledge of the geographical position of
the target in order to determine the direction to this. But this
question is not the subject of this text. Here i speak about about how
the transformation of a text can be organized properly into the
numerical representation of the IP address.

We focus on the ccTLD (country code Top Level Domain). It is the first
level of the cascade for the decentralized organization of the DNS
system. The gTLD (generic TLD such as .com, .org, .net ...) do not
interest us. Each person can decide for themselves whether they want to
apply this nonsense.

Each host on the Internet, client or server or both, has a unique and
singular geographical position. We describe it with the world coordinate
system WCS 1984 (WCS84) or later versions. All GPS and online map
systems work with that. For mobile devices, this is always the position
of the access point to the Internet. To transport the packages we need
this information so that the router can select the most direct route.

The decentralization of the DNS system rests on the cascade steadily
reduced regions. The first level is the ccTLD. So a country with
borders, as we know it today. We can use this, although it is not
optimal. All other levels are determined exclusively in their regions.
The administration, as set, change, and resolve, only happens in the
region. This applies to each level.

The organizational level for the ccTLD is the association of the
countries on our planet. So the UN. The regions within a country are
organizational objects in the respective country. Local regions are
organizational properties of the larger region.

The organizational models are always determined at the level of each
region. In order for a region in Brazil is achieved via the ccTLD ".br"
worldwide. But their internal deeper structure may be different from the
structure in Kenya, India or Russia. Regardless of the specific local /
regional organizational structure of the DNS system, we always get the
correct IP address for our goal. Only the principles of the resolution
of a  domain sequence into a numeric IP address is the subject of our
common discussion.

With the local self-organization we dissolve the need for global
Internet Governance. This may for organizations, that are derive its
raison d'ĂȘtre from the global Internet Governance, be uncomfortable. We
carry this with serenity.

Important for us is to help all the people in the different regions of
our planet to organize their own DNA structure in accordance with their
own principles. This makes it possible for all people of our planet to
connect to all regions of our planet for the communication.

We have several instruments which have well proven in the history of the
Internet. The most important instrument are the RFCs. With that we can
best explain the principles of decentralized DNS system. And this is
also the place where we describe the global access to the ccTLD's. The
rest is regional and local task.

The dynamics in the inventory of domains can be very large. But this
task is clearly and simply by  decentralization of the administration.

An important field of our activities in the IG forums is the propagation
of a free access to the setting up, modification and dissolution of a
domain. Technically this is not a major challenge, because the
processing of an item can be organized by the applicants themselves.
There is only one set in a simple database. The blockages are in the
bureaucratic systems. But the dissolution of these blockades always
remains the task of the people in their regions.

With the help of free software and open source software we can do this
very easily realized in a large cooperation. So the DNS system is an
experiential field of creative and international cooperation.

with many greetings, willi
Porto Alegre, Brasil