[governance] IANA transition - BR Gov comments on the CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Sat Jun 13 20:03:23 EDT 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, parminder wrote:

> jurisdiction. I however still believe that international law is both the best and
> the more plausible option - even if there is a considerable amount of
> evolutionary, and innovative, work to be done for this purpose. )

Here is a thing that I worry that non-lawyers don't appreciate as
viscerally as those of us in the trade do: uncertainty is expensive, and
is itself a great bar to effective rights protection. In a new system, we
invite the bad actors to take advantage, and the victims will find it
harder to vindicate their rights because so much will have to be argued
from scratch. (Which is expensive and unsure.  Which will itself deter the
bringing of those cases.)  And that doesn't even take account of the
inevitable lacunae.  It's just so much better not to have to re-invent the
wheel, the axle, the support strut, the engine, the carburetor, the
suspension, the muffler, the drive train, the catalytic converter, and so
on and so on.  And yet that is what it would take.

Perhaps your solution might, in 30 years, be better.  But in the short,
medium, and near-long run, I just can't see it: a national system has
drawn many bright lines, and that clarity itself deters a lot of bad
things from even happening.

--
A. Michael Froomkin, http://law.tm
Laurie Silvers & Mitchell Rubenstein Distinguished Professor of Law
Program Chair, We Robot 2016 | +1 (305) 284-4285 |  froomkin at law.tm
                         -->It's warm here.<--