[governance] IANA transition - BR Gov comments on the CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Fri Jun 12 13:44:10 EDT 2015

I don't agree with your characterization of the US courts.  In the
trademark arena, the one most relevant to ICANN, they have been wildly
more supportive of speech rights and individual rights than WIPO.

In copyright law, which I know less well, my sense is that the courts
are divided, but the real parameters have been set by the legislature.

The US indeed has a maximalist copyright and IP agenda but that is firmly
situated in the Executive branch (US PTO and the White House) far far more
than the courts.

Program Chair, We Robot 2016 | +1 (305) 284-4285 |  froomkin at law.tm
                         -->It's warm here.<--