[governance] IANA transition - BR Gov comments on the CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:03:00 EDT 2015

Seth,

With your postings, I understand there are now two sub-threads under this
thread: one is about fundamental rights vs. governments while the other is
about making corporate (formation) law under a national jurisdiction work
in a fair and equal manner for a global constituency.

You've being saying a lot of interesting things under the former sub-thread
(re. constitutional moment and how fundamental rights get secured and
enforceable) but I wish you would please take the time to consolidate all
that in a more systematic manner after clarifying the context and problem
so some of us can better follow you (I know you said somewhere that even at
the UN they don't get it, but please don't give up on all of us.) And
wherever you think the participants in the discussion are lacking or are
being misled or mistaken, charaterize that state of affairs through
explicit, pointed and clear propositions while, wherever applicable,
pointing to any additional resources we might need to refer to in order to
fully understand your claims or what needs to be done instead of what those
participants are wrongly/misleadingly doing in your view. For now I have to
say I'm not ready yet to delve into the first sub-thread, so I hope you'll
help my differed reflection with a systematic sum of propositions and
underlying arguments (here or through a blog post of yours to which you
might want to post a pointer here.)

In the meantime, following is the way I would capture (in general terms)
the end state I and presumably many of us are going for. We want to get to
a place where we can say:

1) WE the people of the Internet, from all nations...

(In that WE are individuals, peoples/nations, "stakeholders" and
constituencies that have equal rights and equal access to the means of
protection of those rights.)

2) Declare that all of us, Internet users, must enjoy the same rights as
the "greatest uncommon denominator" of the rights which any one among us
may be entitled to or enjoy anywhere.

3) We should not need to wait until the first time a citizen or resident of
the jurisdiction of choice (or of any other applicable jurisdiction of a
higher standard of rights) is confronted with a situation and brings up a
case against ICANN or the New NewCo for the rest of the world to be able to
enjoy the same right(s) after said citizen wins the case in a court of
applicable law, should she/he win it. In other words, whoever among us is
the first to be impacted by a disputable decision in a given issue area by
the organization (ICANN or New NewCo) should be able to have access to the
applicable judiciary the same way as (no less, no more than) any citizen
residing in that jurisdiction would, and be able to claim just the same
rights as the latter citizen.

(I'll be writing a piece/blog refining the above points in a few days.)

Mawaki

Very true Seth...