[governance] IANA transition - BR Gov comments on the CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Thu Jun 11 10:12:28 EDT 2015

Can you give me an example of what you consider a good model for an
'international jurisdiction' application -- ideally one where someone has
succeeded with a human-rights based challenge?

I would also question the claim that no national jurisdiction could be
asked (or trusted) to undertake a stewardship role on behalf of the
international community. Saves reinventing the legal wheel.

I just don't have much faith in the international tribunal option because
1) it would take years to set up; 2) the lack of relevant international
law would create massive uncertainty; 3) cases would be even more costly
than those in the US or the like.

As regards your IP example below, I would only note that there are
meaningful differences between the IP laws of various states, and that
WIPO's view - which likely would dominate in an international forum - is
far more friendly to IP rights and less open to HR claims than the US
courts have shown themselves to be.  Indeed, I would have thought that
WIPO's IP maximalist views were in themselves proof that the
international route was deeply suspect.

Program Chair, We Robot 2016 | +1 (305) 284-4285 |  froomkin at law.tm
                         -->It's warm here.<--