[governance] Civil society transparency

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Jun 6 18:02:32 EDT 2015

Hi Parminder,

Following from the discussion, here is what I think is possible and realistic in this space.

Firstly, I think the question of transparency and disclosure of conflicts of interest is important.

However, I don’t think people need to declare interests to involve themselves in discussion here or in any of our open mailing lists, and the real concerns start to arise only when people are seeking office as civil society representatives.

Here, most of the office bearing exists in the various coalitions – APC, Best Bits, JNC, NCSG, IGC. I would urge each of these groups, when holding elections, to require candidates to register any conflicts of interest. I know Best Bits is moving to elections for its Steering Committee again soon, perhaps it could formulate some sort of basic disclosure requirement for its purposes? And I guess JNC must be moving towards holding its first elections for SC replenishment soon?  And IGC could easily add such a requirement for its candidates for co cordinator elections (presumably late this year).

But these are requirements for individual groups, and the form of such is for each group to determine. I think however that such a requirement would be a good idea.

As regards CSCG – our calls for candidates are for appointments to outside bodies, and I agree that some form of disclosure of any conflicts of interest would be a good idea. Currently it would appear that our next task would be MAG replenishment (and a small one at that), probably early next year. I will suggest to the members that we should require some sort of basic disclosure statement. But that of course is up to the members (APC, BB, JNC, NCSG, IGC) to determine.

I’m not sure we can go much further. But if some work can be done on a simple model of a form of disclosure, that would be good.

Ian Peter