[governance] [JNC - Forum] The decentralization of the DNS system

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Jul 7 11:28:43 EDT 2015

Dear all,
I'm sorry, but I'm not clear what is being sought to be done here.

   1. The reasons ICANN is currently is a 'monopole':
      A. In desirability terms: Most people want a system whereby two
users don't reach two different addresses (or more accurately: two
different address owners) when they type "example.org".
      B. In practical terms: ISPs default to recognizing
ICANN-recognized root servers.  I recall one in India (was it Tiger?) in
the early 2000s that offered an alternative root (an ICANN+ root, like
OpenNIC IIRC), but that experiment didn't last very long.

   2. What Willi is proposing in the form of "community-owned spaces" is
currently possible through an intranet, and require no new system.  An
city-wide intranet can have the TLD ".bengaluru", for instance.  As long
as the 1) DNS resolvers include a root zone entry for .bengaluru, and an
entry for example.bengaluru, and 2) the community member who wishes to
access example.bengaluru is using one such DNS resolver, that domain
name will resolve.

      2A. For instance, you can set your DNS resolver to
"193.182.144.144" (run by the OpenNIC project) to be able to gTLDs like
".parody" and ".dyn" and ".gopher".  It is free.

   3. Willi's description of root zone servers is wrong.

   4. I'm not sure if JC's suggestion of Open Root refers to the Open
Root Server Network (which is operated independent of ICANN, but mirrors
ICANN) or OpenRoot.eu, in which I don't really see a difference from
OpenNIC except that it sells TLDs, rather than them being given for free
which is the case with OpenNIC, and does so on a first-come-first-serve
basis unlike ICANN's elaborate gTLD auction process.

Regards,
Pranesh

willi uebelherr <willi.uebelherr at riseup.net> [2015-06-25 02:01:49 -0300]:

> Dear Jean-Christophe,
>
> many thanks for your answer. I will answer in the 2 lists, where we find
> the discussion to this theme.
>
> "1_ In my opinion, "decentralization" seems not to be the appropriate
> word to describe what and how to change the current monopole under ICANN."
>
> Not the "ICANN monopolisation" is the object. The centralisation of the
> DNS System and the results, the irrational structures with their
> significant restrictions, is the object.
>
> "Information Technology is somehow always related to a Master and its
> slaves, by electronic nature."
>
> This is not true. You never find a Master/Slave relation in the
> electronic by her nature. It is always a result of the design
> principles. The Master/Slave relation you find in the head of the
> people, the leaders and/or performers.
>
> "2_ ... Localisation might be interesting if a community decides to set
> up its own network (see the Spanish experiment on this) but that does
> not address the DNS issue."
>
> If you mean guifi.net, then your argumentation is not correct. They use
> also a DNS system. But her own. And also they have the gateways to the
> outside networks.
>
> You create for the community oriented space a difference to the other,
> more external, activities. But this is a construction in your head and
> have nothing to do with the reality. In all local and autonomous
> networks the people want to connect worldwide. It is not a specific
> characteristic of a non-community orientation.
>
> Some basic views.
>
> The Clients (the initiators of transactions) need the DNS system to get
> the IP address, if they do not have it, to connect to the Server. But
> this is not a static mapping. Every Host can be Client and Server. The
> practical restriction is the asymetry in the transport capacity for the
> two directions.
>
> The Servers mostly want to be accessible. Therefore, the organizers of
> the Servers create an entry in the DNS list for the Clients. And because
> the Clients do not know, where the Server is, they ask the DNS system.
> But not anywhere. They use mostly the next entry to the DNS system.
>
> We discuss here not the nature of the IP address, not the transport
> mechanism and not the routing in the branch points. Only the design
> principles for our transformation system between Number and Text of our
> IP address.
>
> The existing system is trivial. We have one list and 13 mirrored Root
> Server. 12 in USA, 1 in Europe. Since some years, ICANN started to order
> Verisign to create more mirror servers in the different regions on our
> planet. For the shortest access they use the Anycast addressing scheme.
> But this system remains centrally organized. It is only an internal
> mirroring.
>
> The object is the list and not the mirroring system. And it is clear,
> that with gTLDs (generic TLD) you never can decentralize the system. You
> [...]

Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
http://cis-india.org | tel:+91 80 40926283
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
twitter:https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash