[governance] FYI - Obama/Rouseff joint statement

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 2 22:54:59 EDT 2015

Of course security is an important issue and certainly not "bad", I did
not wish to imply it was.  But surveillance in the name of security is
often how other fundamental rights such as freedom of expression,
privacy, and freedom of assembly are invaded.  It is important to assert
the importance of human rights globally in a document like this, so that
all rights are referenced.  Given that there is a lot of detail, from
trade in beef to cooperation in firefighting, I think it is a bit
disappointing that the Marco Civile and other human rights issues were
not underscored.
Kind regards,
Stephanie Perrin