[governance] A Response re. Just Net Coalition and Internet Social Forum

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 04:33:00 EST 2015

Hi

> On Jan 30, 2015, at 12:04 PM, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:
>
> It would be great if somebody could start also a drafting process for a CS Statement for WSIS 10+ in New York.

The modalities for CS & other stakeholder input into the intergovernmental conference are not defined, the internal preparatory machinery in NY is lagging and may not get serious until the autumn, the government reps that participate in UNGA may lean heavily toward NY processes and have little connection to the past decade of Internet governance discussions, the renewal of the IGF will become a bargaining chit in other power plays and may not go well, etc.  Lots of known and unknown unknowns, and a lot could go wrong. So one would think it fairly important that when the modalities for stakeholder participation are announced, civil society is ready and able to step into the space with a document that will garner serious consideration and not be brushed aside in the ensuing debates.  Personally I think this should take priority over trying to write a big multi-author multi-perspective book, which many delegates are unlikely to read or know what to take away in terms of widely shared positions.  If both prove possible fine, but something that fits the process is key.  If the IGC is able to rally after a long dark night and develop a text, that would seem optimal given that it was recognized by governments during the WSIS process and early IGF years as the focal point mechanism for CS inputs.  Of course, other networks and organizations will want to ramp up their own efforts, hopefully multiple inputs will be accommodated.

Best

Bill

PS: Greetings from the past, Sean :-)

William J. Drake