The Good the Bad and the Ugly was Re: [governance] Internet Social Forum

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Sun Jan 25 09:10:39 EST 2015

Thanks Carlos to share in this list the statement of J. Malcolm.

As an early follower and today member and ally of
JNC and its plan to launch an ISF I have read
with attention this document, especially because
you qualified it as "excellent".
I appreciate the time the author has invested in
putting together the document and the huge effort
to maintain a neutral tone...which, as I will
show, has been struggling and loosing againts a
deep rage he cannot hide. Why facing different
vision provokes that much rage is hard to
understand to me... Why Carlos Afonso find excellence here does surprise me.

Maybe my reading is not enough objective but I
read basically 2 strong arguments against the action plan of JNC for an ISF:

1) The first argument is that "We in JNC are
clear partisan of governments taking charge of the governance of the Internet."
The very axiom of all the the demonstration is
just not true so unfortunalely all the derived theorems are wrong.
The critic of today multistakeholderism is not
synonym of allegance to traditional governmental
form of democracy... or imagination has become so limited in civil society?
The arguing that JNC pretend to use standard
democratic repreasentation and member states
competent international organisations is nothing
but an oversimplification which is not prone to
good dialog and somehow is part of the second argument.

2) The second argument is the demonization of the players of JNC.

Let me just list the various qualificatives spead
over the rationale to make my point:

- profoundly dysfunctional (engagement with civil society)
-  (the people of JNC has) frequently threatened to tear that group apart
- a prominent JNC member almost came to blows
with a female attendee (this for Parminder)
- the toxic relationship that its representatives
have cultivated with the rest of civil society.
- to disrupt ... by hectoring, intimidating and
disparaging participants who expressed pro-multistakeholder views.
- this is a farcical insult (refer to Gurstein's)
-  the disruptive behaviour of JNC
- these demands were delivered with such hubris
and entitlement  that the effect has been to
isolate JNC from other civil society groups and
networks and to sow seeds of discord
that will have lasting effects - JNC betrayed
that trust...  (this is for Norbert)
- This is a shame
- preferring to focus its destructive anger on
easier,weaker targets ­ its own civil society colleagues.

This seems to me to be a replay of a good
spaghetti western with JNC in the role of the
ugly, IGF in the role of the bad and BetBits in the role of the Good.
I prefer Sergio Leone version :-) and I have a
hard time to understand why a profound difference
of vision inside civil society should be treated
as a pathologic deviance as would homosexuality
be treated in some very conservative countries...

To conclude, I am myself a "white man" born in a
developing country, with a nationality of an
industrialized country who lived in a developing
country... but who cares beyond Mr. Malcolm  (X :-)?)
and what sort of argument is that to designate MM. Pouzin and Nothias?

Daniel Pimienta

PD: There is a simple way to determine if, as M.
Malcolm pretends, his views on the Ugly part of
this community are shared by the majority: this
is a survey on the list with the appropriate
questions, a device that virtual community
managers use when conflictive situation occurs. I
do suggest to the convenors of this list to think
seriously about it so nobody can pretend talking
on the name of the rest of us without factual support.

believed to be clean.