[governance] Article on national sovereignty and communications in Indian Magazine Diplomatist

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Jan 11 19:15:46 EST 2015

At 10:30 10/01/2015, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>http://diplomatist.com/articles/article005.html

Dear Milton,

this contribution of yours is brillant. With the only limitation that
the Internet you describe does not exist except in some academic and
political brains. This is probably the reason why the internet
governance you call for is intellectually appealing but practically
inneffective.

The real network is the catenet. It is the substructure of all the
communications technologies [protocol set] (one of them under
TCP/IPv4/6 being the internet) between billions of people assisted by
their machines. The substructure, the operations, the utilization are
paid by us the people with our work and/or our money. The only thing
we do not govern is the governance of the tables (AS, IPs, CLASS
"IN") of that technology and the resulting benefits.

Now, the internet designers have decided to subject themsleves to the
USG (the USIETF fork is to await the NTIA decisions
http://www.ietf.org/blog/2015/01/taking-a-step-towards-iana-transition)
as some FLOSS users are oganizing to take that governance back and to
control their machines, names, addresses, protocols and parameters.

It will certainly take some time, but I bet that they will go faster,
cheaper and better than what the I*core did since 1986 and since the
WSIS. With the help of national laws to support the national catenet
sovereignty and its neutral, Libre/Free support of the different
technologies such as the internet, ndn, sdns, interplus, etc. and
common services such as the ML-DNS (multi-ledger/CLASS - like ICANN
for the "IN" ICANN/NTIA CLASS), and the catenet addressing.

The internet was a great project documented by IEN 48. However, it
was blocked in the mid-80s by the status-quo strategy due to the
TCP/IP inability to support its intended second phase, the world
needs now to see completed. Civil society and Accademics seemed to be
a possible way to address that issue. It turns out that this is not
the case and that the solution (with the OSI layer six presentation)
demands a revision/extension of the architecture. The IAB has decided
to engage that work from/in the stack. Some Libre and other national
teams (IAB is now to be understood as US-IAB) consider that this can
be achieved at that catenet fringe to fringe layer (i.e.
independently from the transportation technology, as an extension of
the user interoperating system).

This makes the future of the world digital ecosystem and of networks exciting.

jfc