[governance] Re: [bestbits] A BR view of multistkaholder processes...

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jan 8 09:10:05 EST 2015

pa
On Thursday 08 January 2015 06:34 PM, parminder wrote:
> Dear Carlos,
>
> Thanks for the very useful article, and for posting it here. (For
> those who would like to read it, i recommend downloading the full
> magazine and then reading the article. It is very difficult to read it
> online.)
>
> I am happy that finally multistakeholderism (MSism) is being openly
> discussed and argued for, in formal write ups.
>
> I will like to make the following points about your article, and the
> comparison it makes between the evolution of MSism in other areas of
> global governance, largely within the UN system, and the MSism of the
> IG world, of which the Net Mundial Initiative is the latest version.
>
> My main point here is that MS models hitherto, including all
> historical examples that you have discussed, have always developed in
> relation to a larger and clearly more formal and authoritative
> decision making structure - and in all cases you discuss, such a
> structure has been a UN body.

In fact, since the article mentions the CGI.Br model, and also,
unfortunately, CGI guys seem to be driven to root for the NMI by the
rightfulness and success of the CGI model,  it must be pointed out that
CGI is what is it because it works clearly within and in relation to the
state of Brazil, with its clear policy making systems and internal
sovereignty. The equal footing MS model for IG at the global level, a la
NMI, however, comes in and seeks to promote a global policy vacuum. This
is not a small difference, it a basic structural one, which makes all
the difference. Sorry to say, but one just hopes that the CGI people get
this point.

On the other hand, even within the commanding overall structure of the
Brazil state, there are 9 gov members in the 21 member CGI -- how is
this equal footing? As you would see from the Commission for sustainable
development  (CSD) participatory structures, the civil society group is
so much vaster than business, which has just one small space. How is
Internet different - how is it less significant to the lives of all
people - why for instance media persons are not a separate group, as
farmers are in the CSD, or women, as women are in the CSD? Because, the
NMI is a plain and simple capture, by the US led status quoists, to
prevent any global Internet normative and policy work. And 'they' spun
the fable as suits them. To ask questions is of course to be on the side
of China and Iran, the dark forces that are the ones that threaten the
global Internet, not the US!

parminder