[governance] Statement by Council of Europe Secretary General Jagland: 'Charlie Hebdo' massacre, attack on democratic society'

THACI Elvana Elvana.THACI at coe.int
Thu Jan 8 05:44:33 EST 2015

Dear IGC members,

For your information, here is the statement issued by Mr Thorbjørn Jagland, Council of Europe Secretary General on the Charlie Hebdo massacre.

"I am shocked and deeply saddened by the horrendous attack on innocent people at the Charlie Hebdo in Paris today.

This terrorist attack was clearly targeted to hit journalists and undermine freedom of expression. It was an outrageous attack on our democratic and European values. It is another example of the threatening radicalization of our societies, which we must resolutely resist.

Europe's governments and institutions, including the Council of Europe, have to take all possible action to better protect journalists and media freedom in future.

I extend my condolences to the people of France and especially to the victims' families and friends."

The Council of Europe will hold a commemorative ceremony to honour the victims on Friday.
The statement is also available at this address<http://www.coe.int/en/web/portal/-/council-of-europe-secretary-general-shocked-by-news-of-shooting-in-paris>.

Elvana Thaçi
Administrator, Media & Internet
Council of Europe