[governance] Fw: [IP] DL- One Man's Freedom is Another Man's Imperialism (via Evgeny Morosov)

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Jan 7 15:24:42 EST 2015

On January 7, 2015 at 10:03 daniel at digsys.bg (Daniel Kalchev) wrote:

 > On 06.01.15 21:02, Barry Shein wrote:
 > >
 > > So it devolves to exercises of raw power, justified or not, with all
 > > the inherent dangers and unexpected consequences thereof.
 > >
 > > To my thinking that's the real problem.
 >
 > Yes. That is the real problem. The US for some reason think they are the
 > elected Government of the Earth. Or, if this is not the case, they are
 > apparently under the impression that a divine force has given them the
 > rule over the kingdom Earth.
 >
 > Internet (governance) is just one of the facets.
 >
 > Unfortunately, the possible ways to wake up from this will hurt a lot of
 > people.

I'm pretty sure for most instances one might cite the US would happily
step aside in favor of any reasonably effective, more local solution.

But what this has to do with the recent kerfuffle between the US and
North Korea escapes me. Assuming the charges were accurate -- and they
may well not be, but that's a different dicussion -- the US would have
a generally recognized right to respond, no?

My comments were referring to creating venues for such a response,
international dispute resolution fora with some effectiveness.

I suppose it's far easier to toss peanut shells from the cheap seats.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada