[governance] [bestbits] FW: [IP] NETmundial Initiative Announces Formation of its Inaugural Coordination Council and a Broad Global Community Consultation Phase | NETmundial

"João Carlos R. Caribé" joao.caribe at me.com
Mon Jan 5 05:16:05 EST 2015

Interesting or Concerning ?

I did a little search about Mr Lu Wei and found some concerning informations:

ICAN 50 open session speech - https://www.icann.org/news/multimedia/301

Note from GIP Platform about IANA transition - http://giplatform.org/resources/gip-summary-report-icann-50
[..]The High Level Government Meeting addressing ICANN’s accountability and the transition of NTIA’s stewardship of the IANA functions, and chaired by the UK minister Ed Vaizey, came under the spotlight. The mere presence of China’s highest-level cyberspace official, Lu Wei, Minister of Cyberspace Affairs Administration, was a clear signal that China is interested in playing a strong role in the transition process. Although his address however mostly followed the known Chinese positions asking for an intergovernmental supervision of ICANN, he also mentioned the greater participation of his country (and various Chinese communities) in ICANN and argued that the candidates for the working groups on ICANN’s internationalisation should be determined quickly, in accordance with the number of Internet users of each country.[..]

China's cyberspace admin. chief visits Facebook, Apple, Amazon
http://www.iloveafrica.com/2014/12/10/VIDE1418182021367254.shtml

[..]Lu Wei, Minister of China’s Cyberspace Affairs Administration, was in the US to attend a Chinese-American Internet conference, at which China pushed for a louder voice in the management of the Internet... a voice which was obviously heard loud and clear by the founder of Facebook.[..]

Em 26/12/2014, às 22:16, Izumi AIZU escreveu:

> I see at least two names from China as very interesting or significant: Minister Lu Wei and Jack Ma of Alibaba, both were central figures at the World Internet Conference held in Wuzhen, China last month. Their participation in this Multistakeholder venture is a good sign.
>
> I also hope our Civil Society colleagues actively engage and advance our core values.
>
> Of course, there are certain or uncertain elements that are troublesome, but I like to remain constructive, critical, but more positive.
>
> And Happy holidays and New Year to all!!
>
> Izumi
> 2014/12/25 3:21 "Lee W McKnight" <lmcknigh at syr.edu>:
> FYI and happy holidays!
>

> Lee