[governance] Managing the Internet in the Public Interest

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Thu Feb 26 04:32:47 EST 2015

Michael, many in CS have worked very hard for recognition that the
internet should be governed in the public interest. For many years.

Getting that text into the NETmundial statement took work, but we got it
there and that is why I think it is short-sighted to dismiss that text.

It is a very important baseline from which we should never retreat and
on which we can build.

http://netmundial.br/netmundial-multistakeholder-statement/

"NETmundial identified a set of common principles and important values
that contribute for an inclusive, multistakeholder, effective,
legitimate, and evolving Internet governance framework and recognized
that the Internet is a global resource which should be managed in the
public interest."

Anriette